Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 11:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
are vegetarians more ethical by not eating meat?
RE: are vegetarians more ethical by not eating meat?
(May 15, 2013 at 5:15 am)littleendian Wrote: Don't compare "killing" an apple to killing a pig, the former we can do in the comfort of our living room, the other is something so repulsive and contrary to what we feel is right, our innate ethics, that we hide the act away behind fences and walls and pay other people to do it for us and to print pretty pictures on the packaging to never remind us of what was necessary for our pitiful few minutes of taste.
Meh, I don't have any trouble killing pigs, nor would I find any reason to hide the killing, or cleaning. Now, that's probably because we always kept a few pigs around when I was growing up. I'm used to it, familiar on a practical and day to day level wherein the killing and butchering of a pig doesn't seem in any way a momentous or meaningful event to me. But maybe there is something to be said here-in that if a consumer figures that they might be aghast at whatever goes into their meal - pick some other menu item.

Quote:Why is it so hard to accept that all living beings might feel the same urge to stay alive? Any cow or pig has as much or as little right to be alive as you or I, brain size don't enter into it.
It isn't, I would kind of expect that both creatures had a pronounced will to live. As far as what rights they have - well, that depends. Animals raised here in the US have more rights than many human beings in other parts of the world. Fortunately I don't live in a place where this holds - but our livestock are fairly fortunate in co-habitating with me on this count as well.

Quote: The viewpoint of the homo egocentricus is a residue of Christianity and we as atheists should set out to overcome it. We took away the geocentric universe, then we took away the superiority of the white man, then that of man over woman, now we are taking away the arbitrary distinction between man and other animals. It's only logical.
I'm all for busting barriers between ourselves and other species of animals, but forgive me for wondering why eradicating those divisions, whether real or imagined, would have the effect you appear to be hinting at?

Quote:"Human killing" is an oxymoron.
I think that perhaps you're a little murky as to what the word "oxymoron" means. This is one of those things upon which I would absolutely insist - if we were going to continue eating meat, precisely -because- I value ethics, and the life and well being of the animal. I can't watch an animal suffer, personally. I shot a bird with a bb gun once when I was a kid and learned that about myself very well (of all things eh, balling like a little baby over some magpie..lol). If you can't end the animals existence swiftly and decisively - you just don't do it.

Quote:We're not talking about what is convenient, we're talking about what is right. As a self-identified catholic, your own God told you "Thou shalt not kill", and by your own standards it is blasphemy to your own God to re-interpret Her words as only applying to humans.
I don;t think you'll find any traction on that count. Their god is also a known lover of animal blood and burnt flesh. Their god also gave them dominion over beasts and it;s seal of approval on eating meat (provided that they don't drink the blood..remember...that's set aside for the big guy).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: are vegetarians more ethical by not eating meat? - by The Grand Nudger - May 15, 2013 at 8:08 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] An Argument For Ethical Egoism SenseMaker007 29 3285 June 19, 2019 at 6:30 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Belief in God ethical? vulcanlogician 28 2641 November 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Sweet and Ethical Prostitutes AFTT47 27 4365 November 18, 2017 at 6:55 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What will you do? (Ethical dilemma question) ErGingerbreadMandude 91 10610 October 22, 2017 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Is Human Reproduction Un-Ethical? Brometheus 45 7470 April 6, 2015 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Suicide: An Ethical Delimna LivingNumbers6.626 108 16095 December 27, 2014 at 3:26 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Any Vegetarians/Vegans here? là bạn điên 1057 164944 August 13, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: jughead
  Hume's Guillotine sets up an ethical regress problem Coffee Jesus 8 3013 April 13, 2014 at 9:14 am
Last Post: Coffee Jesus
  The difference between ethical atheism and nihlism is that ethical atheists have more faith jstrodel 104 37189 March 15, 2013 at 8:37 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Ethical Philosophy Selector leo-rcc 36 11267 December 30, 2010 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Ubermensch