Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 9:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
are vegetarians more ethical by not eating meat?
RE: are vegetarians more ethical by not eating meat?
(May 16, 2013 at 9:04 am)littleendian Wrote: Look into it and you will find that funneling our grains and soy through animals before consuming it is a vastly less efficient use of the limited ressources (land, water) that we have to grow crops than if we consumed the crops directly, not to mention the by-products of animal agriculture like methane.
No, it isn't. But we could explore the issue. Perhaps if those crops were fit for human consumption - or were grown with a method other than rain-fed ag, or were grown on land suitable for crops that -were- fit for human consumption, or were grown for a market in which there was room for mixed vegetable producers, or were sustained by a crop in high demand and low supply - it would be. They aren't. Meanwhile, what livestock does represent is the act of taking resources that do not yield a crop that is available to us and turning it into one that is.

But just as I mentioned, what you've done here is begin an argument against battery farming - not for a vegetarian diet - or against an omnivorous one.

Quote:If every person on the planet would want to eat even half the amount of meat that we consume in the industrialized countries (and with a steak in your mouth its hard to convince them otherwise) then this would indeed be impossible without extremely intensive animal farming, and if such enormeous stress is put on any system it will most certainly have little concern for the well being of its "product" or the environment.
Less meat is fine by me. I already eat "less meat".

Quote:This is an invalid all-or-nothing argument. Just because our very presence on this earth is damaging the environment it does not follow that we can't or shouldn't minimize this impact. Some of worst mono-cultures on the planet are the soy fields in South America, and this soy is produced to a significant percentage (85% is one number floating around) for animal feed (because soy contains more protein than grass/corn which makes animals grow faster which yields bigger profits).
It's not an all or nothing -argument-, it's a dry statement of fact. I'm not telling you here that you shouldn't be a vegetarian, or arguing against vegetarianism, I;m reminding you that the grounds you've offered apply equally to yourself and your dietary choices. That there is no moral or ethical high ground available. You don't like battery farms or monocultures. Neither do I - and so, I assume, neither of us supports either except in cases where we have little to no choice (laying aside those moments we break for something really tasty - despite knowing all that shit that goes into it's production).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: are vegetarians more ethical by not eating meat? - by The Grand Nudger - May 16, 2013 at 9:16 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] An Argument For Ethical Egoism SenseMaker007 29 3433 June 19, 2019 at 6:30 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Belief in God ethical? vulcanlogician 28 2770 November 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Sweet and Ethical Prostitutes AFTT47 27 4454 November 18, 2017 at 6:55 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What will you do? (Ethical dilemma question) ErGingerbreadMandude 91 10938 October 22, 2017 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Is Human Reproduction Un-Ethical? Brometheus 45 7693 April 6, 2015 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Suicide: An Ethical Delimna LivingNumbers6.626 108 16743 December 27, 2014 at 3:26 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Any Vegetarians/Vegans here? là bạn điên 1057 168414 August 13, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: jughead
  Hume's Guillotine sets up an ethical regress problem Coffee Jesus 8 3030 April 13, 2014 at 9:14 am
Last Post: Coffee Jesus
  The difference between ethical atheism and nihlism is that ethical atheists have more faith jstrodel 104 37557 March 15, 2013 at 8:37 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Ethical Philosophy Selector leo-rcc 36 11365 December 30, 2010 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Ubermensch