Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 10:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No man with a sense of humour ever founded a religion
RE: No man with a sense of humour ever founded a religion
(October 11, 2013 at 4:22 am)Sword of Christ Wrote: Atheists think all morality is relative is culture and personal opinion anyway but kick up a fuss whenever they see something in the Bible that is "immoral".

Okay, so you insist on telling us what we believe rather than just talking to us about it. That makes you an arrogant sod, but now that you've done it repeatedly despite my objections, I feel fairly justified in doing it to you.

I won't be taking moral advice from christians, since they think murdering babies is the only way to get into heaven.

Quote:it wouldn't have been immoral for the ancient Jews and there is no such thing as morality in general beyond social agreed social contracts.

Only that's wrong; agreed or not, if such a contract causes demonstrable harm to individuals- within certain limits and context issue that would take more time than I'm willing to give to explain- then that contract is immoral.

There, see? You've learned something new about how an atheist thinks. The question is, will you take it on board like an adult?

Quote: I would be able to take the view that something in the Bible was mistaken in the moral sense and it was written by humans with their own ideals whether or not God lay at the heart of the source of inspiration, as I believe he was.

How can you tell? Let me guess: all the parts written by man are the inconvenient parts for your reputation, huh?

Quote:Atheists cherry pick the parts of the Bible they want to use and miss good, profound and meaningful parts entirely.

Unlike you, who just labels whatever he wants as "written by humans" right? Good thing you don't cherry pick! Rolleyes

Besides, I don't care what good things are in the bible, because those things are good independent of the bible. They aren't good because they're in the bible, they're good in spite of it. You still haven't gotten a single inch further toward demonstrating that it is a book of truth.

Quote: They also ignore the fact that this was the source of much of what they today consider to be moral and good.

And an equal number of our moral guidelines contradict the bible; that's why we don't allow the murder of gay people, or followers of other religions, or children who are disobedient. All of those things are in the bible, remember?

Quote: What we call humanism was founded from these teachings this is what shaped our civilization, sometimes for the worse often for the better.

Even if this was true, humanism advanced by growing past the bible.

Quote:I'm guessing you haven't read the whole thing just the parts that highlighted in those New Atheist polemics.

Wrong.

Quote:That said even Dawkin's admires it as a work of literature, one of the greatest works ever written equal to Shakespeare.

And I disagree. Dawkins isn't some atheist folk hero, you know. He's just a guy who's smart on some subjects, and dumb on others. You know, like people are?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Messages In This Thread
RE: No man with a sense of humour ever founded a religion - by Esquilax - October 11, 2013 at 4:47 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The 500 & Common Sense. Jehanne 53 5097 June 29, 2021 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Knowing god outside a biblical sense Silver 60 11738 March 31, 2018 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Does this Make Sense to You? Rhondazvous 28 5838 July 28, 2016 at 11:16 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Physical man VS Spiritual man Won2blv 33 6639 July 9, 2016 at 9:54 am
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Why the whole Adam and Eve Fall story makes no sense 1994Californication 237 42657 April 3, 2016 at 10:05 am
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  Does Calvinism make the most sense as far as Christianity Goes? The Batlord 63 18653 August 16, 2015 at 10:14 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  in a sense i'm happy dyresand 2 1453 November 21, 2014 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  why religion doesn't make sense dyresand 24 5309 November 5, 2014 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: miniboes
  "The United States is a Christian-founded nation" Boris Karloff 67 19017 October 3, 2014 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: radical97
  Jack Chick: Craziest Man Ever? EgoRaptor 26 6576 December 13, 2013 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: Chad32