Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 8:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.88 Average
Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer.
RE: Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer.
(October 18, 2013 at 4:51 pm)Esquilax Wrote: Two things: yes you can, if god interacts with the physical world at all, and if he doesn't then why should anyone give a crap?

It depends what you mean by "interact" you likely don't mean the gifts of the Holy Spirit. So you want to prove say the resurrection of Christ happened, how are going to do that? Build a time machine? Clearly no you can't prove it happened you take it on faith that it happened. Not necessarily blind faith as it is reasonable to suppose that the Jesus Movement within Judaism was based on something profound that happened to someone. If you mean miracles and supernatural events that still happen today then alright we don't have concrete proof they may or may not happen we don't know for sure. Would it be nice to have more evidence of the supernatural? Well yes but if we did it would just become of a part of the world as we understand it. If we had evidence for say ghosts we would likely be able to study them and explain what they are.

Asking for scientific evidence of God himself is pointless, asking for evidence of miracles that happened thousands of years ago is pointless and asking for evidence of miracles today isn't that relevant. If you're interested you can take a look at the supernatural claims made in recent years there is quite a lot there to go at. Some of it if you're not looking to dismiss them right away are interesting, these are things that could be real they may not be we don't know, that's just how it is. Chances are no-one here will see or experience anything like that (in this lifetime) even if they are real events.

Quote:Secondly, as I've explained to you multiple times now, scientific indications aren't the only type of evidence that I would accept.

I gave you scientific indications in the fine tuning of the universe. I also covered the physiological results of prayer at one point. But it's miracles you seem to want for which I can't give you anything concrete. I can just point you to these books that cover the subject.

[Image: 220px-MiraclesLewis.jpg]

[Image: miracles.jpg]

And you can decide to believe they're validity or not. Even if we had concrete evidence of something our science couldn't explain it still wouldn't be evidence for God as there could be some other explanation for it.

Quote:The trouble is- and I suspect that this is the reason you're ignoring me on this so consistently- is that you don't have any other type of evidence either.

I keep saying there isn't the kind of evidence you demand but that doesn't mean God doesn't exist. It doesn't mean these things can't or don't happen. Yes perhaps they're ultra rare events that tend to happen at particularly key moments of history, at least the larger scale events such as the resurrection.

Quote:You've been told how this isn't so. You're just lying, now. Why do you intentionally sin, if you're a christian?

To me you're looking at good evidence of contingency in the universe, a universe purpose made to develop life and you're screwing your face up at it. I'm not lying when I say I find this to be compelling. Though I'm not starting with your assumption that it was all "coincidental" as all this will do is demonstrate to you how massive a coincidence it was not that there was any design/intention involved.

Quote:
The uncaused cause argument is simply special pleading, and you know it.

The universe has no cause/caused itself and is the way it is because it made itself that way for particular reason is the alternative. It makes less sense to me anyway, I like things that have an explanation. God is an integral part of the explanation itself not the thing that needs to be explained in the first place. You either have an explanation, in this case it would be God or you don't have an explanation. The ultimate explanation of everything that exists is God you don't need an explanation of the explanation it isn't necessary and it isn't special pleading.

Quote:Besides, even if one were to accept it, you still haven't provided a justification for why that uncaused thing must be your god, and not simply the universe itself.

Something can't be the cause of itself! God didn't cause himself because he wasn't caused. You see? A nicely done job there.

Quote:Beyond simply asserting that it is and claiming that it just makes sense, I mean. Surprisingly, I don't find your incredulity incredibly convincing.

I'm not just claiming I'm explaining how God makes more sense than the alternative you would suggest. An alternative you yourself can't prove either you take it on belief. Belief is belief it isn't the same thing as knowing for a fact. A belief in God is a called faith, a belief in a lot of things is called faith and I'm sure you yourself have faith in something/someone. Faith means to place your trust in something or someone and it doesn't have to be blind or irrational faith. Or faith against overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Quote:
Bullshit. This is just pathetic, Sword: instead of just answering my questions, you just reinterpret my motivations so that you don't have to feel bad about how spectacularly you're failing to support your position. I could do that to, with the same level of evidence as you have, but I don't, because I'm not a fucking child.

I'm supporting my position just fine here. I don't see you supporting your position particularly beyond "prove it for certain or it ain't real" obviously I can't do that. I'd be world famous by now if I could. You have unrealistic expectations.

Quote:Just admit it: you don't have anything. Be honest for once.

I have quite a lot here just not what you're asking for. Not being able to provide absolute certain evidence of the kind you want is not good evidence against the existence of God or a good argument in defense of atheism.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer. - by Sword of Christ - October 18, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debunk the divine origin LinuxGal 35 2442 October 9, 2023 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1429 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Age of the Universe/Earth Ferrocyanide 31 4124 January 8, 2020 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  questions Christians can't answer Fake Messiah 23 2955 October 15, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  Good Christians only may answer... Gawdzilla Sama 58 10274 September 18, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  No-one under 25 in iceland believes god created the universe downbeatplumb 8 1827 August 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15387 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Josh McDowell and the "atheistic" Internet Jehanne 43 6330 February 8, 2018 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Supernatural denial, atheistic hypocrisy? Victory123 56 9782 February 1, 2018 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Miracles in Christianity - how to answer KiwiNFLFan 89 19226 December 24, 2017 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer