Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 1:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
questions Christians can't answer
questions Christians can't answer
questions Christians can't answer:

1) Who was Cain's wife?
2)In the week of creation, how was there an "evening and a morning" for three days when the sun wasn't made until the fourth day?
3) Why is there no evidence for Noah's flood and history continuing uninterrupted around the world at this time?
4)How could people in the bible live 500- 1000 years when lifespans only reached 70 in the 20th century?
5)Why were they already speaking and writing Chinese in China and Sanskrit in India long before god "mixed up languages" at the Tower of Babel? Why don't all cultures around the world trace their origins to the exact same spot in a Babylonia?
6)Why is there no evidence at all for the presence of millions of Israelite slaves in Egypt and a miraculous "Exodus." Why didn't neighboring empires even notice such a major blow to the area's superpower and loss of its army?
7)Why is the Ark of the Covenant missing? How do you know it even existed?
8) How could Jesus claim descent from the royal line of King David if Joseph was not his biological father?
9) Why is there not a single contemporary eyewitness to Jesus' ministry outside the bible?
10)Why do good people and innocent children suffer terribly while evil rotten people often live long healthy lives?
11)Why did god himself in the bible commit or order the murder of millions of innocent people - especially children? How can you worship such a genocidal monster?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: questions Christians can't answer
Sorry, but I could play devil's advocate, pretend I'm a Christian and answer those easily. Whether we're talking fundamentalist or liberal.
I've come up with some more:

1.  How can you make 0 0 0 = 6 (you can only add mathematical operators, the equal sign is inviolate, and you may not add any integers)?

2.  What is wrong with my printer?

3.  Some people keep rats as pets.  Should these people be medicated?

4.  What the hell are bats arguing about?

5.  If the love of money is the root of all evil, what emotion is the root of being constantly surprised?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Did Jesus have a perm?
(October 13, 2019 at 6:20 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I've come up with some more:

1.  How can you make 0 0 0 = 6 (you can only add mathematical operators, the equal sign is inviolate, and you may not add any integers)?

5.  If the love of money is the root of all evil, what emotion is the root of being constantly surprised?

Boru

If money is the root of all evil, why does God always need money?  Dodgy
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
(October 14, 2019 at 8:48 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: If money is the root of all evil, why does God always need money?  Dodgy

I attended a Christening the other week. At the start of the service the man in a dress informed us that instead of a collection box, we now had the option of contactless card payment, even suggesting the size of donation! You've got to laugh.
(October 13, 2019 at 5:51 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: questions Christians can't answer:

1) Who was Cain's wife?

According to the Hebrew tradition, it was Awan, who was both his wife and sister.

Quote:2)In the week of creation, how was there an "evening and a morning" for three days when the sun wasn't made until the fourth day?

The writer probably didn’t think that part through, or wasn’t all that concerned with a proper chronology

Quote:3) Why is there no evidence for Noah's flood and history continuing uninterrupted around the world at this time?

Probably because it didn’t happen, and the story of Noah was just a reimagining of other flood myths at the time

Quote:4)How could people in the bible live 500- 1000 years when lifespans only reached 70 in the 20th century?

Probably didn’t, or maybe it was the benefits of all natural diets, in a pollution free world.

Quote:5)Why were they already speaking and writing Chinese in China and Sanskrit in India long before god "mixed up languages" at the Tower of Babel? Why don't all cultures around the world trace their origins to the exact same spot in a Babylonia?

Probably because language developed naturally, and not because some people tried to build a tower to heaven.

Quote:6)Why is there no evidence at all for the presence of millions of Israelite slaves in Egypt and a miraculous "Exodus." Why didn't neighboring empires even notice such a major blow to the area's superpower and loss of its army?

It’s seem pretty likely that groups like the ancient Hebrew would have been taken in as slaves by the dominant power structures at the time, rather than be able to roam as free men throughout their history. The story is perhaps a fiction itself, but with some kernels of truth.

Quote:7)Why is the Ark of the Covenant missing? How do you know it even existed?

Perhaps it didn’t

Quote:8) How could Jesus claim descent from the royal line of King David if Joseph was not his biological father?

Since only two gospel accounts attempted to address Jesus’s lineage, or even suggested he was a born a virgin, it’s unlikely anyone knew what his actual lineage was, not to mention being able trace anyones lineage to David. If the Jewish messiah came today, there would be no way to make such a family tree, you’d just have to assume it.

Quote:9) Why is there not a single contemporary eyewitness to Jesus' ministry outside the bible?

For the same reason we don’t have contemporary accounts for anyone that existed during that time. For the entire period in Roman Palestine, the only Roman source we have for that period is Josephus, and he mentions Jesus twice, one in a disputed portion of his writing, and another in passing regarding the death of Jesus’s brother James.

Guess who’s also the only source of any the campaigns of Pilate? Josephus too. Tacitus in fact only mentions Pilate once, and that’s in regards to Jesus crucifixion.

Quote:10)Why do good people and innocent children suffer terribly while evil rotten people often live long healthy lives?

Good and innocent people also live long and healthy lives, and evil people suffer terribly. pain and suffering are indiscriminate.

That’s just the way our reality works, how the natural order of our world functions

Quote:Why did god himself in the bible commit or order the murder of millions of innocent people - especially children? How can you worship such a genocidal monster?

Probably because God isn’t someone who commits anything, doesn’t exist in some anthropomorphic way, as his essential properties suggest, unchanging, non-contingent, without parts, eternal, etc... Thats the only sort of God I worship.
(October 14, 2019 at 9:13 am)Acrobat Wrote: Probably because God isn’t someone who commits anything, doesn’t exist in some anthropomorphic way, as his essential properties suggest, unchanging, non-contingent, without parts, eternal, etc... Thats the only sort of God I worship.

Why bother worshiping it then?
(October 14, 2019 at 8:48 am)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(October 13, 2019 at 6:20 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I've come up with some more:

Boru

If money is the root of all evil, why does God always need money?  Dodgy

Off topic, but moderately cute:

Mathematical Proof That God Is Evil

When one believes in the Abrahamic god, one is required to invest both time and money in this belief, thus:

God = time x money

However, we're often told that 'time is money'.  Therefore,

God = money x money  or money^2

But since money (or at least the love thereof) is the root and (therefore the cause) of evil, we infer that,

God = √evil (^2) or

God = evil

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 14, 2019 at 9:21 am)Cod Wrote:
(October 14, 2019 at 9:13 am)Acrobat Wrote: Probably because God isn’t someone who commits anything, doesn’t exist in some anthropomorphic way, as his essential properties suggest, unchanging, non-contingent, without parts, eternal, etc... Thats the only sort of God I worship.

Why bother worshiping it then?

For the same reason one might have a gratitude to life, being in awe of reality around them, all of which rather than being directed to human creatures, but at the source of it all. The majesty of it all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7764 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Good Christians only may answer... Gawdzilla Sama 58 10038 September 18, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 3909 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  My Questions For Christians BrianSoddingBoru4 14 1649 May 13, 2018 at 7:18 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 14877 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Miracles in Christianity - how to answer KiwiNFLFan 89 18500 December 24, 2017 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  A few questions for Christians... Simon Moon 7 2170 October 4, 2016 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31155 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  The real "Christians answering questions" thread Foxaèr 17 2623 May 6, 2016 at 5:00 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer. SavedByGraceThruFaith 2761 751231 September 6, 2015 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie