Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Debunk the divine origin
Debunk the divine origin
1. The Bible predicts Egypt will lie uninhabited for 40 years (Ezekiel 29:12): "And I will make the land of Egypt desolate in the midst of the countries that are desolate, and her cities among the cities that are laid waste shall be desolate forty years: and I will scatter the Egyptians among the nations, and will disperse them through the countries."

2. The Bible predicts Jesus will come without warning (1 Thessalonians 5:2): "For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night."

3. The prophecy of Egypt lying empty for forty years remains unfulfilled. 

4. If Ezekiel's prophecy of Egypt's comeuppance is set aside in light of Paul's prophecy of immanence, then Ezekiel is a false prophet.

5. If Egypt begins to lie uninhabited. then Jesus cannot come for at least the next forty years, which serves as a warning and makes Paul a false prophet.
RE: Debunk the divine origin
The idea that egypt lie in ruin gives us a way to potentially date ezekiel. By the 500s it had been invaded multiple times, fallen very far from it's glory, and was no longer ruled by the natives. Just one region in the face of the vast and advancing persian empire. Babylon, the presumed source of the ot creating culture, had been conquered by the same. The nations that had enslaved the long suffering people in their foundational legends had both been overcome, and the author was feeling pretty darn hopeful about the future, lol.

I think the best way to debunk the notion that this was a prophecy of divine origin is to point out that people think it's credible (real big asterisk here, lol) precisely because the details match what was already happening in the time it's proposed to have been written. Funny how that works out. When they want to give it some truthiness chops we know it's right because that's what had happened, but when we want to give it magical chops we say we know it's right because it predicted what had not yet happened. Pretty brisk game of three card monte right thur.

None of it, obviously, had anything to do with any paul or jesus, and thessalonians is not a prophecy of any kind, it's nt. That story didn't even exist until after christ had already come, allegedly. Also an interesting point of tie in to our other thread. Believers in that story are -all- referred to as brothers and sisters in gods family.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Speaking of ol Zeke; Nebuchadnezzar was promised the treasures and pillage from the devastation of Tyre in Ezekiel's prophecy on its destruction (Ezek. 26.12), but sixteen years after the initial prophecy, he was left without money to pay his troops.

FSM tells me he tried to open up a dessert stand to get out of debt ' Lil Nebbies Snack cakes'
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(October 8, 2023 at 10:21 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: The idea that egypt lie in ruin gives us a way to potentially date ezekiel.  By the 500s it had been invaded multiple times, fallen very far from it's glory, and was no longer ruled by the natives.  Just one region in the face of the vast and advancing persian empire.  
The Nile was farmed by somebody every year without fail from time immemorial. But Ezekiel 29:11 says, "No foot of man shall pass through it, nor foot of beast shall pass through it, neither shall it be inhabited forty years."
Naturally the Bible inerrantists come in and say Egypt was made desolate spiritually.
(October 8, 2023 at 10:42 am)Nay_Sayer Wrote: Speaking of ol Zeke; Nebuchadnezzar was promised the treasures and pillage from the devastation of Tyre in Ezekiel's prophecy on its destruction (Ezek. 26.12), but sixteen years after the initial prophecy, he was left without money to pay his troops.

FSM tells me he tried to open up a dessert stand to get out of debt ' Lil Nebbies Snack cakes'

Alexander the Great finally sacked Tyre.  Believers assure us even though Alexander was not physically Nebuchadnezzar, he was Nebuchadnezzar spiritually.

Zeke also said Tyre would never be rebuilt.  Apologists assure us even though Tyre was rebuilt materially, it was never rebuilt spiritually.

Tyre:

[Image: r-1.jpeg]
I feel like, given the content of ezekiel, we can allow that the author might have engaged in a little bit of hyperbole and exaggeration..? Egypt wasn't just a place on the map to the people who came up with this stuff. They obviously felt a certain way about it. Seeing that it had gotten it's shit pushed in multiple times and been reduced to a trading hamlet in someone else's empire is a pretty good case for desolation in a cultural context.

The Tyre bit is interesting.....because that was centuries later. So our upward date has to be revised unless we posit a composite manuscript from multiple authors over multiple centuries.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 8, 2023 at 10:52 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: I feel like, given the content of ezekiel, we can allow that the author might have engaged in a little bit of hyperbole and exaggeration..?  Egypt wasn't just a place on the map to the people who came up with this stuff.  They obviously felt a certain way about it.  Seeing that it had gotten it's shit pushed in multiple times and been reduced to a trading hamlet in someone else's empire is a pretty good case for desolation in a cultural context.

It was a piece of wish fulfillment fanfic. "Sure, God sent the Babylonians in to take our leading citizens into exile but he's going to do the same thing to you too, and even go a step further and clean everybody out of Egypt."
That wasn't something, by the supposed authors timeframe, that was going to happen. Like a threat anyone could have leveled (impotent or otherwise). It already had happened.

Alot of the ot is like this.
(October 8, 2023 at 11:06 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: That wasn't something, by the supposed authors timeframe, that was going to happen.  Like a threat anyone could have leveled (impotent or otherwise).  It already had happened.

Alot of the ot is like this.

56 million dead in World War II, including half of world Jewry

Bible prophecy:  crickets

Moore's Law makes chips small enough and cheap enough to streamline the maintenance of inventory on store shelves.

Bible prophecy: The Mark of the Beast of Revelations tracks the movements of Christian patriots with quantum microdots embedded in their corn flakes.
If the religion had still been forming in the way it appears to have been while they were coming up with these stories..there would be Prophecies™ about ww2, written during ww2.

The ot prophecies are what we, today, would call socio-political commentary. The authors were the tucker carlsons of their day. Not nostradamus. The latter was muy verboten and double plus ungood. I'm going to take a step back from litigating details because I think there's something more fundamental to the way that skeptics often respond to this stuff. The implication is that, if magic book got something -factually wrong- then it must not come from god. You're not disproving anything with that, you're accepting their framing... and it's nutball framing. Maybe gods get shit wrong. A failed prediction is not evidence or proof that a god didn't say a thing - there are silent premises at work that only exist because of their convenience to the cultists beliefs but should not exist in any objective criticism of the claim. So never mind that it wasn't a prediction. It's not even logically demonstrative if it were and it were wrong.

"This prophecy is wrong so it didn't come from god" is a blatant non seq (and, not for nothing, how even the believers have been repairing their texts all this time). The conclusion that follows is "god got this wrong, so gods a fuckup, a liar, or both".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Divine Inspiration Foxaèr 172 16517 September 2, 2019 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Stoneheart
  Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer. SavedByGraceThruFaith 2761 752113 September 6, 2015 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Some Simple Questions show Atheistic Origin Science is false (proof 2 begins) SavedByGraceThruFaith 369 193001 October 9, 2014 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheist origin science has discovered the origin of god. daandaan 2 1592 October 11, 2013 at 6:31 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
  What is atheistic origin science Lemonvariable72 6 1961 October 3, 2013 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: max-greece
  Formally Disproving Divine Command Theory FallentoReason 74 24350 April 21, 2013 at 9:27 am
Last Post: ThomM
  Divine Revelation FallentoReason 91 22286 January 25, 2013 at 5:36 am
Last Post: Pompey
  Divine Inspiration FallentoReason 71 19171 October 8, 2012 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: genkaus
  Free Will vs Divine Won't - How God Favours Evil Cyberman 22 11790 April 1, 2012 at 11:35 am
Last Post: C Rod
  How to debunk the resurrection?... dave4shmups 117 69527 December 14, 2011 at 4:13 am
Last Post: Barre