Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 8:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.88 Average
Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer.
RE: Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer.
(October 21, 2013 at 2:55 pm)ThomM Wrote: Sorry - but science does not remain "neutral" about gods

Gods certainly don't exist but the Bible/Torah already said they didn't. At least there would be no gods to worship even if higher beings than humans do exist I'm sure they do. Science of course demonstrates a universe that is governed by an understandable natural order. And this natural order is the purpose made creation of God. What do you think it is?

Quote:- the thousands so far named by humans.

They're just myths don't worry about them, even the Bible says this. If any of them were real they would have been demons or daemons or whatever they're called just something possible within the general supernatural context. The oracle at Delphi is said have had Apollo possess her body and speak through her though more likely it was the result of the toxic she was breathing in. But that's the Biblical position regarding the existence of "gods" which were of course idols.

Quote: Science reports facts - and if those facts contract the claims of the religions of those gods

Yes but then so did the Bible so that's fine. There isn't anything like say the gods of Olympus control the natural world there is only the natural order of the universe as it is. At least that's the part of reality our science can study.

Quote:them those religions are effectively established to be wrong.

Yes of course but it doesn't conflict with God who is the source of natural order science studies.

Quote:AS science has shown - for example - prayer has NO statistically significant effect beyond that of chance

Intercessory prayer? With that what could happen is God will always answer your prayer in some way but necessarily in the way you would hope or like. He may for instance comfort you in your loves ones death rather than revive them. I don't practice that form of prayer myself.

Quote: - there has not been ONE study published in a peer reviews scientific journal that suggests otherwise. It makes no difference which god - or what idol you pray to as well.

We never pray to gods or idols only the living God.

Quote:IF any religion were true - you would expect prayer to their god to be significantly more effective

Idol worship is not effective at all and the Bible says as much with great stress. I could post numerous passages on this.

Quote:but prayer to the sun brings more warmth than to any named god.

No the sun is part of Gods created order not a god. This guy seems to think it is though.

But either way we don't worship the creation or any part of it.

Quote:The easiest test - pray for someone not to die. EVERYONE from 1874 back has died -and it is fair to say that there is not a single person from the time of the christ that is still alive - even though he said her would return before all of them died.

We all have eternal life so they're still alive just not in the same form they were in back then.

Quote:AS far as a god being a reasonable faith - WHY?

I may as well ask why you think universe that exists for no reason and has life in it and all this complexity but no purpose or anything behind it is a reasonable thing to believe. A faith isn't an absolute certain knowledge it's a trust you invest into something an optimist hope basically.

Quote:I would expect a "creator" to be a reasonable faith - but not a god.
THere is a difference - the existence of the Universe might(Although we have NO reason to even believe that) indicate a higher power was needed to start it - but does not in any way support the rest of the supernatural nonsense of religions.

A creator who went to all the trouble of creating the universe and life and everything who doesn't care about us? It would seem like a waste of time to me. It would have to be a God we are in relationship with who we know something about I would think.

Quote:There has been NO religious group whose members have been obviously favored from natural calamity.

No I guess but it helps them pull through calamity as a people. If you read what the Old Testament has to say for instance. The Jews did good to survive as a small ethnic group of people at the mercies of vast empires for as long as they did. And for such a small people you can see the amount of influence they had upon the whole of the world.

"Blessed is the people of whom this is true; blessed is the people whose God is the LORD." Psalm 144:15

Quote: Churches of all religions have been destroyed in floods and other weather related events.

We can't control the weather it's a natural process. Apparently Jesus was able to calm a storm if what is written is accurate. If it happened that's one of the more impressive miracles but the resurrection is the all important one to bear in mind.

Quote:Gods are not immune to logic and reality. IF something that is claimed cannot actually be true - then that god cannot exist as claimed. For example - the Xtian god is claimed to be All knowing - and Almighty - but that cannot be. An all knowing god can only do what it already knows it will do - and it cannot change its mind and do something it did not know about. So - it cannot do EVERYTHING (Almighty) andthe definition of the XTIAN god cannot actually happen.

Your mistake is to think of God as existing within time with a definitive past and future, this wouldn't apply to something that is eternal who created time. He can do everything in the sense that there is nothing that exists that would exist without him and through his will our universe is sustained. Once he stops sustaining it the universe will be no more though I imagine this would happen around the time all the stars burn out and/or no life is left. The universe itself is here for a specific purpose/function. Atheist scientists say otherwise but they have their own opinion based on their own opinion, they don't know.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer. - by Sword of Christ - October 21, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debunk the divine origin LinuxGal 35 2478 October 9, 2023 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1439 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Age of the Universe/Earth Ferrocyanide 31 4172 January 8, 2020 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  questions Christians can't answer Fake Messiah 23 2989 October 15, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  Good Christians only may answer... Gawdzilla Sama 58 10398 September 18, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  No-one under 25 in iceland believes god created the universe downbeatplumb 8 1839 August 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15422 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Josh McDowell and the "atheistic" Internet Jehanne 43 6388 February 8, 2018 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Supernatural denial, atheistic hypocrisy? Victory123 56 9955 February 1, 2018 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Miracles in Christianity - how to answer KiwiNFLFan 89 19315 December 24, 2017 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer