Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 9:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Apologetics and Arguments are Futile
RE: Christian Apologetics and Arguments are Futile
(October 29, 2013 at 6:53 pm)GodsRevolt Wrote: No, you are changing what you said now.

No I'm not.

Quote:The original post presented several arguments that Christians use in regards to proving their stance. Your claim was that they did not hold together, and the only argument you made to plausibility was as a side note to remind the reader that you did not take the arguments as fact in either case.

That's actually not what I said so I'd appreciate it if you didn't misrepresent my position. My OP specifically says that the arguments, when assumed as true in a "cumulative case for Christian theism" fail. I didn't say they don't "hang together. I said they don't and cannot establish Christianity as true or as more plausible than other theisms in principle.

Quote:You claimed that there is a disconnect in reason between a supreme being and His ability to become a man. I disagree. If something is all powerful it can therefore do all things. This idea has no disconnect in itself, whether you take it as truth or not.

No, again with you misrepresenting my positions. I said that even assuming the philosophical arguments and thw historical one, there is no way to logically establish that a person claiming to be an emissary/incarnation of whatever supreme being there may be as true: it's just a claim. And I further elaborated this by pointing out that the historical argument can only show that there were people who believed this, not that it was true.

Quote:Christ's "proof" that he was God was not just in miracles, but in actions and presentation of a ideas that were completely strange (like loving your enemy, and the poor inheriting the Earth).

Strange to an extent, but not unique. Buddha expressed many (if not all) of those ideas 500 years earlier

Quote:He also rose from the dead of His own volition. I think that helped seal the deal. This idea connects back the to idea that God could so all things.

Firstly, this fails because there is no evidence for that. Secondly, that is part of why the historical argument is complete nonsense. It's merely written testimonies by people decades later writing down things from an oral tradition, which originated from what people believed. That's tragically weak. And again, miracles (of which the resurrection is one) were not thought to be unique to God.

Quote:It is a complete idea, whether you take it as truth or not.

Your belief is not the same as truth. You make that mistake a lot.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christian Apologetics and Arguments are Futile - by Chas - October 29, 2013 at 9:56 am
RE: Christian Apologetics and Arguments are Futile - by MindForgedManacle - October 30, 2013 at 1:03 pm
RE: Christian Apologetics and Arguments are Futile - by Ayen - November 3, 2013 at 10:30 am
RE: Christian Apologetics and Arguments are Futile - by Ayen - November 4, 2013 at 3:43 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Arguments (Certainty vs. Probability) JAG 12 1016 October 8, 2020 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 3007 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments? vulcanlogician 223 30717 April 9, 2018 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency datc 386 43087 December 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Valid Arguments for God (soundness disputed) Mystic 17 2204 March 25, 2017 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Pressuposition Apologetics Cross Examined Soldat Du Christ 48 5573 October 19, 2016 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 2982 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Hume weakened analogical arguments for God. Pizza 18 6044 March 25, 2015 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Gaps in theistic arguments. Secular theism vs religious theism Pizza 59 10903 February 27, 2015 at 12:33 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Using the arguments against actual infinites against theists Freedom of thought 4 2276 May 14, 2014 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought