Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 7:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism's Definition - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
RE: Atheism's Definition - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
(December 3, 2013 at 3:25 am)Esquilax Wrote:
(December 3, 2013 at 3:10 am)Vincenzo "Vinny" G. Wrote: Not sure I worded it like that.

But the use of agnosticism, I understood, originated with Huxley. What are you referring to exactly with your "in the beginning"?

I'm referring to when Huxley coined the term, in 1869. His very first usage of it describes a rejection of spiritual knowledge, strictly speaking, that one shouldn't proclaim certainty in things that aren't demonstrably so. So, using agnosticism as it was originally intended, it's more of a descriptor of knowledge, where atheism is one of belief, as we've been saying all along. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Quote:For the record, I have no problem with words that change from initial usage. I'm all for it. Rather what I have a problem with is the illegitimate change of meaning. For instance, when people claim the definition they like, or they see commonly is the One True Definitiontm.

So then what's a legitimate change in definition, and who determines that? You? The people the word applies to? Common usage? It seems to me you're wanting to proclaim dictionaries the arbiter of this, but you can find some dictionaries that still label atheism as a synonym of immoral, so hey.

Besides, I think you'll find that not a one of us is claiming ours to be the one true anything, and that if pressed we're actually willing to add an ag/gnostic qualifier to the front of our chosen label in the interests of being clear. This is just a question of specifics: I don't believe in a god, which makes me an atheist, and I don't claim knowledge over that, which makes me an agnostic. Bam.

Quote:By which one makes more sense.

the claim "does not believe in God/gods" is not only too vague, because it doesn't distinguish between "belief in" versus "belief in the existence of."

Atheism usually refers to the latter, while the former refers to the irreligious, and can include agnostics, deists, pantheists, etc.

Whoop! I wouldn't usually bother responding to a response for someone else, but I can see the error here really clearly: you're assuming that the "god" in "does not believe in gods," is a specific entity, and not that set of entities that religions entitle god, which isn't true. An atheist would disbelieve in your god claim, someone else's god claim, everyone's god claim equally. It's not vague, it's both of your things it can't distinguish between: you can't believe in something without believing it exists, surely?

I'll put it like this: atheists don't believe in any gods, but agnostics can, so long as they don't proclaim to know for certain; one can be an agnostic theist, too. Deists and pantheists believe in some form of god, so they're still theistic in some stripe. That's not vague at all.
I'm not sure Huxley's position was a flat-out rejection of spiritual knowledge, rather I think it was more nuanced than that. SEP:
Quote: Huxley thought that as many of these people liked to describe themselves as adherents of various ‘isms’ he would invent one for himself. He took it from a description in Acts 17:23 of an altar inscribed ‘to an unknown God’. Huxley thought that we would never be able to know about the ultimate origin and causes of the universe. Thus he seems to have been more like a Kantian believer in unknowable noumena than like a Vienna Circle proponent of the view that talk of God is not even meaningful. Perhaps such a logical positivist should be classified as neither a theist nor an atheist, but her view would be just as objectionable to a theist. ‘Agnostic’ is more contextual than is ‘atheist’, as it can be used in a non-theological way, as when a cosmologist might say that she is agnostic about string theory, neither believing nor disbelieving it. In this article I confine myself to the use of ‘agnostic’ in a theological context.

It seems, both by your description and the SEPs, that Huxley's view entailed that spiritual knowledge was not false or impossible. Rather, it was insufficiently certain to qualify as knowledge.

I think a vs b is the crux of the matter here.

a) A belief that God does not exist (which I and most of the sources agree with)
b) A "lack of belief" that God exists (which is commonly used on the internet)

But if nobody here claims that their definition is the one true definition, they they have to specify that the definition they are using is one particular definition. And according to one definition they are atheist-agnostics, and another, they are agnostics.

For the record, I don't believe that "does not believe in gods" refers to any specific entity.

Rather, one's belief in a God (or lack thereof) is a matter of indifference to me and amounts to irreligiosity. It's your stance on a deity's existence that determines the answer. Do you believe God does not exist, or are you not certain about whether God does or doesn't exist?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheism's Definition - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - by Vincenzo Vinny G. - December 3, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27750 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 6164 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Definition of "atheism" Pyrrho 23 9014 November 19, 2015 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Ludwig
  A practical definition for "God" robvalue 48 16072 September 26, 2015 at 9:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12704 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12249 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Definition of Atheism MindForgedManacle 55 14592 July 7, 2014 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Poetry, Philosophy, or Science? Mudhammam 0 1192 March 22, 2014 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10584 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  My definition of being an atheist. Vegamo 14 5185 January 21, 2014 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: truthBtold