Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 12:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CEOs work harder every hour than their wage slaves do every season.
RE: CEOs work harder every hour than their wage slaves do every season.
(January 29, 2014 at 11:11 am)TaraJo Wrote: Have you listened to how they talk about the poor people of the world? The idea there sure seems to be that they didn't do enough work to deserve more than minimum wage. Why can't we apply the same logic to the people at the upper end of that spectrum?
I never said you can't apply the same logic to them. The problem is, what people 'deserve' and how much a job is 'worth' are subjective. An unskilled worker may feel that they deserve a certain amount, but at the end of the day, they can be replaced by hundreds of people who would love to have any job. For a business, paying unskilled employees the least amount of money they will accept for a job is one of the ways you maximize profit.

Unfortunately, society has developed in such a way that almost the same thing applies for CEOs. All the big companies pay their CEOs large amounts, so a company that tries to hire a CEO for less than expected will not find many people willing to take the salary (bear in mind most CEOs have done the job before, or were other types of executive, and so used to large salaries). Take the example of Ben and Jerry's, an ice-cream company that originally had a corporate policy where the maximum a person could earn was 7 times that of the lowest paid employee. It was a great policy whilst the company was growing, but it had to be scrapped eventually, because they wouldn't have been able to hire the people they wanted.

So I think we agree with the general sentiment that CEOs could definitely earn less, but we disagree on what should be done about it. You likely believe the government should step in and cap salaries. I believe it's none of the government's business, and instead we should focus on changing social values, organizing boycots, and if the government is to be involved at all, it should be to pass sweeping legislation to end corporatism and stop businesses trying to create laws that favour them and try to squash their competition.

Messages In This Thread
RE: CEOs work harder every hour than their wage slaves do every season. - by Tiberius - January 29, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UBI & Citizens Wage FrustratedFool 8 996 September 14, 2023 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Raising the minimum wage won't help Foxaèr 156 8650 June 16, 2021 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Our politics is for slaves and suckers. brokefree 12 837 June 10, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: brewer
  Are religions that preach inequality for women and gays, traitors to their country? Greatest I am 129 6270 February 8, 2021 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Why $15 an hour minimum wage SUCKS onlinebiker 94 4758 December 21, 2020 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Let’s take their guns BrokenQuill92 141 10435 November 22, 2020 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why Red Flag Laws Won't Work. onlinebiker 203 11318 August 26, 2019 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Two Old Pros - Doing Their Thing Minimalist 8 1083 November 28, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  So Not Every WLB Voter Was a Racist Retard. Minimalist 16 1225 October 29, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Nearly half of Republicans feel bullied at work Foxaèr 8 2114 October 27, 2018 at 4:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama