Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Red Flag Laws Won't Work.
Why Red Flag Laws Won't Work.
I used to think they were a good idea. Taking guns away from a deranged individual sounds good on the face of it - but would it work?

Probably not.

Why not? Very simple.

It depends on the honest cooperation of a deranged individual.

Consider - when the cops go into someone's house to confiscate guns - how do they know when they have them all? Answer - they have to ask - and trust - the deranged individual in question if they have all the guns.

See the problem?

You think that just MAYBE the guy might have a gun - or 30 stashed somewhere?

Think about this - prisoners in maximum security prisons manage to hide weapons. You think a guy who is free can't manage that trick?

Then also consider - might confiscating some of the guy's guns push him over the edge - and send him out on a killing spree?

Nope. You can't make the world safer by taking away a few guns. You can make it somewhat safer by locking people up.

Are you ready to start locking people up without a trial?
RE: Why Red Flag Laws Won't Work.
Oh fuck off. Just this week 3 men were arrested because sane people close to them said "this guy has a screw loose."

This is just more bullshit distraction, to avoid the obvious. One industry's CEOs have solely cared about keeping and expanding their markets and profits at the expense of public safety.

The El Paso Police department was at a press conference after the shooting. One police official was asked by a reporter what the public could do to help with mental health issues . His rightful response was, "I am not a psychologist, that is not my field of expertise". That same week the shop owner who sold the weapon to him said, "He looked fine and happy when he picked it up." So please tell everyone here what makes a shop owner a shrink?

It isn't mental illness, it isn't violent video games, and it IS a myth that only criminals get firearms. It is ease of access. The core of our firearm violence epidemic is because the OWNERS of those companies care more about profit than public safety.

If arm more was a solution, then we would not be #1 in firearm violence among our allies.
At work.

Sorry....... I don't quite grok your hypothetical.

If a person has mental health issues then, along side the treatment and therapy and help they shoukd be getting, restricting things for such people for their safety and others seems a 'No brainer'.

Cheers.
(August 20, 2019 at 8:32 am)Brian37 Wrote: Oh fuck off. Just this week 3 men were arrested because sane people close to them said "this guy has a screw loose."

This is just more bullshit distraction, to avoid the obvious. One industry's CEOs have solely cared about keeping and expanding their markets and profits at the expense of public safety.

The El Paso Police department was at a press conference after the shooting. One police official was asked by a reporter what the public could do to help with mental health issues . His rightful response was, "I am not a psychologist, that is not my field of expertise". That same week the shop owner who sold the weapon to him said, "He looked fine and happy when he picked it up."  So please tell everyone here what makes a shop owner a shrink?

It isn't mental illness, it isn't violent video games, and it IS a myth that only criminals get firearms. It is ease of access. The core of our firearm violence epidemic is because the OWNERS of those companies care more about profit than public safety.

If arm more was a solution, then we would not be #1 in firearm violence among our allies.

And once again --

TOTAL FAILURE TO ADDRESS THE SUBJECT.

Just your same tired "quit handing them out like candy" - and no plan to implement that fantasy.

Thaks for playing

(August 20, 2019 at 8:35 am)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote: At work.

If a person has mental health issues then, along side the treatment and therapy and help they shoukd be getting, restricting things for such people for their safety and others seems a 'No brainer'.

Cheers.

It's not hypothetical.

It' s a logistical reality.

How are you going to know when you have all the guns of an accused nutter?
At work.

(August 20, 2019 at 8:38 am)onlinebiker Wrote:
(August 20, 2019 at 8:35 am)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote: Sorry....... I don't quite grok your hypothetical.

Cheers.

It's not hypothetical.

Hmmmm...... there seems to be a disconnect in your statements.

On the one hand. Are you thinking that a good background check by the proper authorities with access to all the relevant data to confirm a potential owner's suitably before a gun license is issued is some how a bad thing?

Secondly, you're asking about some one's honesty. In the matter of fire arms a lack of honesty would seem to be a rather big procluder to being allowed such a license, let alone the actual weapon.

Or.... have I missed some cultural difference between ourselves in this conversation?

Cheers.

Cheers.

What the worshipers keep failing to realize, is that they cannot have it both ways.

They cant shit on reactionary after the buy tactics, while ignoring the cheapest way to reduce firearm violence is for the shop owner not to assume "no record" means nothing will go wrong after the legal sale.

Shop owners would look a shitload better and be respected far more if they didn't simply assume shit when a complete stranger they do not know comes in and wants to buy a firearm. 

"Just keep them out of the wrong hands" both sides agree on. The cheapest way to do that is for both the SHOP owners and CEOs of the companies to give a shit about how many they make and where they end up at the time of sale, not after the fact.

I find it fucking sick that I live in a country, where kids are psychologically traumatized by "active shooter drills" instead of the shop owners giving a fuck at the time of sale.

Profits are not as important as public safety. That safety should start at the point of sale, not waiting until something bad happens.
http://www.bu.edu/articles/2019/state-gu...un-deaths/
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
At work.

Wait. In America does one not have to obtain a license for a fire arm before obtaing said fire arm?
(August 20, 2019 at 8:38 am)onlinebiker Wrote:
(August 20, 2019 at 8:32 am)Brian37 Wrote: Oh fuck off. Just this week 3 men were arrested because sane people close to them said "this guy has a screw loose."

The El Paso Police department was at a press conference after the shooting. One police official was asked by a reporter what the public could do to help with mental health issues . His rightful response was, "I am not a psychologist, that is not my field of expertise". That same week the shop owner who sold the weapon to him said, "He looked fine and happy when he picked it up."  So please tell everyone here what makes a shop owner a shrink?

And once again --

TOTAL FAILURE TO ADDRESS THE SUBJECT.

Just your same tired "quit handing them out like candy" - and no plan to implement that fantasy.

Thaks for playing

Cheers.

It's not hypothetical.

You get a Gun Finder® and take every gun away from them. Or a Deranged Finder® for potential perps. They don't work all that well, since neither exist. In fact, in the US, when people talk shit and say they're going to shoot someone/something up, most people around them seem look the other way. I think that this has a lot to do with it, but a reduction in the gun supply certainly wouldn't hurt. And I say that as an individual who has guns.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
PT -

I think perhaps part of the problem here is knowledge of current gun laws.

Are you aware there is NO registration of firearms - except for some states - which some have handgun or limited registration of some rifles?

I had my mind changed by a cop. He pointed it out - that with no handy list in his hand - he has no idea of how many guns anyone has - or where they are kept.

He further pointed out that no cop would want to mess with this sort of thing. For one - where are you going to put these guns? This sort of thing could RAPIDLY get out of hand. Some guys have gun collections worth huge money. Do you.want to be the officer who's sweaty fingers cause rust to form on a $50,000 Holland and Holland? Who is going to pay for that?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about choice and laws in the USA ShinyCrystals 7 998 October 15, 2023 at 10:14 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Raising the minimum wage won't help Foxaèr 156 7713 June 16, 2021 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  I Know This Won’t Come As A Shock BrianSoddingBoru4 13 810 February 15, 2021 at 4:19 pm
  Donald Trump predicting Red Wave!! Jehanne 99 12280 November 18, 2018 at 12:29 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  If you won the lottery..... Brian37 18 872 November 6, 2018 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Nearly half of Republicans feel bullied at work Foxaèr 8 2093 October 27, 2018 at 4:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Nice Gesture But It Probably Won't Help Minimalist 0 201 October 14, 2018 at 12:08 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why Trump likely won't be impeached Foxaèr 6 1216 July 23, 2018 at 2:02 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  That's odd...I thought we were a nation of laws? GODZILLA 24 4828 June 25, 2018 at 7:11 pm
  The Power of Freedom vs. Hate Speech Laws Mechaghostman2 13 1605 May 1, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3