Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 11:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why your exsistence is more worthless than you previousy thought it was.
RE: Why your exsistence is more worthless than you previousy thought it was.
(February 10, 2014 at 9:40 am)Sword of Christ Wrote:
(February 10, 2014 at 9:24 am)Alex K Wrote: Yeah, because all things in my life are trivial if I don't praise your god figure.

It depends what you place value in religion/faith tends to universally point out the folly of basing your life material wealth and physical pleasures alone.
Hey, whatever floats your boat
Quote:If it's based on friends, family and doing good for others that's a quality spiritual happiness, though everyone's going to die at some point of course. Not necessarily eventually either so certainly there's a great deal of finality to your happiness here if you believe life ends at the grave.
Yes, there is a great deal of finality to my happiness. To yours as well I reckon, because, by the way, believing otherwise doesn't make it so.
Quote:

Quote:Asshat. What a sick outlook on life you have.

Perhaps you're the one with the sick outlook on life? I don't know enough about you to say though.
You obviously devalue everything that's actually in our lifes in favour of a (in my opinion) phantasy. I don't.
Quote:
Quote:And depression is just a problem with a lack of faith? You know what I call that: taking advantage of the vulnerable to indoctrinate, nothing more. Really despicable.

Well it is true to some degree if you're going to base your happiness on a purpose free life that ends at death. If you have a really great amazing life of comfort and wealth free from pain and suffering then perhaps you can just about manage it. You can tell anyone who is perhaps in a worse state than yourself who finds solace in their faith in God to fuck off and/or learn some science or whatever.
No, I wouldn't do that, actually, that's a terrible strawman depicting atheists as some kind of Vulcan caricature.
I wouldn't feed them comforting lies about the afterlife, though. However, I wouldn't talk the dying person next to me out of their faith, if they didn't desire and start that discussion themselves. That would be ghoulish and unnecessarily cruel. But consider the hypothetical scenario that the dying person I'm talking to has had a terrible falling out with their sibling or whatever, and xe says: well, we'll meet in the next life and it will be fixed by god in heaven or something. Then I'll tell that dying person: Hey, I'm an atheist, and I'm not at all convinced that that is going to work out. Don't take that chance and reconcile with your .... now as long as you still have time. See, there's harm in delusions.
Quote: I think that's ultimately the road you take with atheism.
Which road again?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why your exsistence is more worthless than you previousy thought it was. - by Alex K - February 10, 2014 at 9:48 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 127 6620 May 20, 2024 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  J.J. Thompson's Violinist Thought Experiment Concerning Abortion vulcanlogician 29 1853 January 3, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Thought experiement# 117. The measure of man. ignoramus 12 1054 January 31, 2020 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Is a higher level of thought possible? Macoleco 8 984 June 10, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Thought police? ignoramus 51 6913 April 6, 2018 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Why You Should Not Chew Your Food Rhondazvous 14 3065 June 30, 2017 at 8:54 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why aren't the Indians more grateful? ThortheMighty 76 10440 February 27, 2017 at 4:27 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  #1 Thought experiment - "The Trolley Problem" ErGingerbreadMandude 108 12993 May 20, 2016 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Athene
  Inspirational thought of the day Heat 33 6373 November 17, 2015 at 10:49 am
Last Post: brewer
  Omniscience: A thought experiment noctalla 58 8120 April 26, 2015 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Hatshepsut