Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:17 am

Poll: Which one describes philosophy as an academic discipline?
This poll is closed.
Useful
78.57%
11 78.57%
Useless
21.43%
3 21.43%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How worthless is Philosophy?
How worthless is Philosophy?
Should this discipline be required in college? Should students who are pursuing unrelated degrees be required to take any philosophy classes at all at university? Why or why not?

What about History? Should business majors be required to take History 101? Why or why not?

Personally, I think philosophy is largely useless unless one thinks that politics, law, or morality is useful. So, therefore, I tend to think that most philosophy courses are useless to those who pursue business degrees and such. Even scientists, though they may be interested in philosophy, and not too shabby at philosophizing either... philosophy doesn't help science much at all. Even philosophy of science doesn't help science. Let alone the rest of it.

But I do think philosophy is immensely useful to those who pursue political science or law. Maybe even science to some degree. But, meh. Only so useful to scientists...

I think two philosophy courses ought to be required of all students: ethics 101 and logic 101. Beyond that, philosophy is useless to the vast majority of professions.
RE: How worthless is Philosophy?
Philosophy can get people thinking in a different way, as it did for me. But overall its value will only be perceived by those interested. And it is not at all necessary for the average person.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I found philosophy courses very useful in writing term papers - if you can't write 5000 words of bullshit on a bullshit subject, you shouldn't be at university in the first place.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Required...maybe not. You don't need to be an aeronautical engineer to be a pilot. There's at least one philosophy, at least one methodology, to every fact-making subject matter..though. Useful? Yes. It's the study of thinking, and no matter what we happen to be thinking about...well.

A public defender does not need to know the legal philosophy underpinning the relevant laws. As far as I've been told, it's actually a pretty bad idea in a bench or jury trial to hang your case on a philosophy lesson. Either every t was crossed and every I dotted, or they were not. It doesn't matter why.

I think the trouble with ethics 101 and logic 101 -as we do it- is that it often amounts to cultural (or at least cognitive and semantic) normativism. The point, we imagine, is to broaden horizons and possibilities - but how we can do so by reciting the central assertions of our traditions is beyond me. So we decide we need to teach people ethics..whatever specific crisis we're responding to in that notion colors how we teach ethics. This has absolutely plagued western post modernism.

(my daughter got back from one of those three day mock government at the captial things today. I heard all of her (extremely limited) education in philosophy at play as she explained her single issue vote on two subjects - one for one against. She felt proud and she got noticed, so it's useful at least for that...philosophy is probably even at least part of why she's here to tell me the story)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
"No philosopher ever came out of a debate/deep dive/etc. with more than he went in with." Jubal Harshaw, I think.
(November 14, 2023 at 7:45 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I found philosophy courses very useful in writing term papers - if you can't write 5000 words of bullshit on a bullshit subject, you shouldn't be at university in the first place.

Boru

"The Superiority of the Triangular Command Structure over the Pentacular Command Structure in Intra-Service Decision Confirmation and Execution." Got me an "A". The prof returned the paper without noticing that pages 29 and 30 were stuck together in three places.
It's good for a Liberal Arts degree. It's useful for PoliSci.

(November 14, 2023 at 7:51 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: So we decide we need to teach people ethics..whatever specific crisis we're responding to in that notion colors how we teach ethics.  

I'm not so sure we need to teach people ethics. The reason I espouse ethics 101 is that it teaches people to think about ethics. The hard problems with it. But also, how you can't just dismiss it.

Quote:This has absolutely plagued western post modernism.

I like postmodernism. But, if I had one criticism, I think postmodernists are too skeptical about ethics. Like, being skeptical about ethics is a good thing. But dismississing all ethics, or indeed any truth statement, because it must come from a certain perspective goes too far imo.
When dissent built on well founded skepticism of traditional ideas becomes the traditional idea. All the more absurd when the traditional ideas are abandoned and the the now- new tradition has to pick fights with even newer enemies it never anticipated or could have conceived of in order to maintain it's hard earned hegemony.

-ah, but that's philosophy. Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 14, 2023 at 7:30 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: Should this discipline be required in college? Should students who are pursuing unrelated degrees be required to take any philosophy classes at all at university? Why or why not?

What about History? Should business majors be required to take History 101? Why or why not?

Personally, I think philosophy is largely useless unless one thinks that politics, law, or morality is useful. So, therefore, I tend to think that most philosophy courses are useless to those who pursue business degrees and such. Even scientists, though they may be interested in philosophy, and not too shabby at philosophizing either... philosophy doesn't help science much at all. Even philosophy of science doesn't help science. Let alone the rest of it.

But I do think philosophy is immensely useful to those who pursue political science or law. Maybe even science to some degree. But, meh. Only so useful to scientists...

I think two philosophy courses ought to be required of all students: ethics 101 and logic 101. Beyond that, philosophy is useless to the vast majority of professions.

The best things in life are useless.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1426 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3599 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1605 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 13004 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2634 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 4932 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8250 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12016 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Revolution in Philosophy? Jehanne 11 2267 April 4, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  What's the point of philosophy any more? I_am_not_mafia 167 26490 March 29, 2018 at 10:22 am
Last Post: stretch3172