Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 10:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why your exsistence is more worthless than you previousy thought it was.
RE: Why your exsistence is more worthless than you previousy thought it was.
(February 11, 2014 at 8:32 am)Sword of Christ Wrote:
Quote:Yes, there is a great deal of finality to my happiness. To yours as well I reckon, because, by the way, believing otherwise doesn't make it so.

One of us will be entirely mistaken on the subject of the existence of God\the non-physical though only you have the prospect of being comprehensively to be proved mistaken. If what you believe is true then no-one will ever find out. If what I believe is true then atheists are going know all about it at some stage guaranteed.
You think that your beliefs are such natural and obvious an alternative to atheism, that it's basically either the one or the other. It ain't so. Even if atheism were wrong, the chances that you are right may still be minuscule.
Quote:
Quote:No, I wouldn't do that, actually, that's a terrible strawman depicting atheists as some kind of Vulcan caricature.

Even Vulcans had religion and had mystical powers and shit. They were still entirely logically though of course, the emotional control they had was a religious/spiritual discipline.
I intended to use "Straw Vulcan" in a TV Tropes kind of sense
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StrawVulcan
Quote:
Quote:I wouldn't feed them comforting lies about the afterlife, though.

Nothing is ever here all we ever see are changes in form.
Huh?
Quote: In any case I think there is good evidence of different kinds that life/consciousness isn't annihilated by physical death.
No. There is overwhelming evidence that our memories, consciousness and personality are tied entirely to our brain and body. Not the other way around.

Quote:Though even if that did happen it wouldn't happen seeing as you wouldn't exist to experience it happening if you think about it
I can live with that
Quote:
Quote: However, I wouldn't talk the dying person next to me out of their faith, if they didn't desire and start that discussion themselves.

It's not that like you would get far anyway seeing as you only have some kind of a belief yourself. Why should they take your word for it?
Belief is only a dirty word if you use it to mean unevidenced belief. Again, the fact that you can make up some unfalsifiable claim does not mean that it automatically has a sizable probability of being right. I can make up a zillion things on the spot which you can't disprove. We know that the material world exists, anything beyond that needs evidence.
Quote:
Quote:See, there's harm in delusions.

It isn't a delusion if there's a good chance it might actually be true if there are good reasons to believe it.
Exactly! Oh wait, you do think that there are good reasons to believe it...
Quote: It's still a faith if you can't be factually certain
There is never factual certainty of anything, there are only degrees of belief, so this argument is completely bogus.
If you need to put all possible statements without absolute factual certainty on the same level for your argument to work, you have therefore lost. It's just a rhetorical trick to discredit science and evidenced beliefs by putting them in the same class as unevidenced religious belief.
Quote:but you can't be factually certain that atheism is true either.
See above.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why your exsistence is more worthless than you previousy thought it was. - by Alex K - February 11, 2014 at 8:54 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 127 6620 May 20, 2024 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  J.J. Thompson's Violinist Thought Experiment Concerning Abortion vulcanlogician 29 1853 January 3, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Thought experiement# 117. The measure of man. ignoramus 12 1054 January 31, 2020 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Is a higher level of thought possible? Macoleco 8 984 June 10, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Thought police? ignoramus 51 6913 April 6, 2018 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Why You Should Not Chew Your Food Rhondazvous 14 3065 June 30, 2017 at 8:54 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why aren't the Indians more grateful? ThortheMighty 76 10440 February 27, 2017 at 4:27 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  #1 Thought experiment - "The Trolley Problem" ErGingerbreadMandude 108 12993 May 20, 2016 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Athene
  Inspirational thought of the day Heat 33 6373 November 17, 2015 at 10:49 am
Last Post: brewer
  Omniscience: A thought experiment noctalla 58 8120 April 26, 2015 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Hatshepsut