Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 2, 2024, 2:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The future for the human race
RE: The future for the human race
(September 5, 2014 at 7:09 pm)lifesagift Wrote: Not sure where to post such a question, but I'm wondering, what is the prognosis for the human race?

As I see it we have four "enemies".... and they are:

1. disease - ebola currently, what are we to face?
2. political nonsense - like the Ukraine idiocy.
3. religion - the biggest threat in my book... humans vs humans is an abhorrent prospect
4. and space... probably more scary than I'm giving credit

Should my fear be microwaves, Van Allen, chemical imbalance etc?

I hope we are all happy, but what is the future for our great grandkids?

1. Disease will always be with us. The current flap with ebola is just the latest panic in a whole line of panics. Remember SARS and the Bird 'flu? Yes, it's a concern but I'm not going to panic over it. The Spanish 'Flu killed at least 18 million people around the world. The Black Death wiped out half of Europe. Humanity survives. Will there be pandemics in the future? Of course.

2. As with disease, war has been with us since the first human ancestor picked up a club and hit his neighbour. While out weapons have changed and are capable of killing millions at a time, I don't think the current crises will be the triggering of anything that threatens the survival of humanity as a whole. I'll leave that to when extremists get their hands on WMDs. Which leads us in to 3.

3. Religion, at least fundamentalist religion, is a threat to humanity. But then, we've had that sort of fundamentalist religion throughout history.

4. Yes, something from space could wipe us out. Which is why I believe an effort should be made to get off our one little dirtball and get out into space, to other planets and solar systems.

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"

Messages In This Thread
The future for the human race - by lifesagift - September 5, 2014 at 7:09 pm
RE: The future for the human race - by Tobie - September 5, 2014 at 7:11 pm
RE: The future for the human race - by lifesagift - September 5, 2014 at 7:16 pm
RE: The future for the human race - by ShaMan - September 5, 2014 at 7:18 pm
RE: The future for the human race - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - September 5, 2014 at 7:19 pm
RE: The future for the human race - by Zack - September 5, 2014 at 7:22 pm
RE: The future for the human race - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - September 5, 2014 at 7:32 pm
RE: The future for the human race - by Anomalocaris - September 5, 2014 at 7:41 pm
RE: The future for the human race - by tjakey - September 5, 2014 at 7:38 pm
RE: The future for the human race - by Michael - September 7, 2014 at 6:02 pm
RE: The future for the human race - by Anomalocaris - September 7, 2014 at 6:25 pm
RE: The future for the human race - by The Valkyrie - September 7, 2014 at 6:40 pm
RE: The future for the human race - by lifesagift - September 10, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thought on "race". Gawdzilla Sama 17 1614 August 11, 2023 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Race and IQs Alexmahone 180 20525 June 3, 2018 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  In the future men will be able to carry children just like women rado84 110 11994 October 4, 2016 at 9:12 am
Last Post: mcolafson
  The future of AI? IATIA 45 4529 March 31, 2016 at 12:21 am
Last Post: dyresand