Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 8:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ministers Threatened with Jail/Fines For Refusing to Officiate at Gay Weddings
RE: Ministers Threatened with Jail/Fines For Refusing to Officiate at Gay Weddings
No complaint has been filed against the Knapps. It is the Knapps who are suing under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. No one is prosecuting them. Any suggestion that a complaint has been filed against them is disingenuous. Theirs is a preemptive suit.

However, I agree that they should not be required to preform marriage ceremonies which violate that religious beliefs, even if they preform those ceremonies as a business. Whether they should be required to preform such ceremonies if they were in court clerks or other government employees who's job description includes preforming civil marriage ceremonies is another question.

The First Amendment says:

Quote:Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I don't see the part where it says, "unless you are running a business for profit."

That being said, the Knapps aren't suing under the First Amendment, they are suing under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act which states:

Quote: Government shall not substantially burden a person’s exercise of religion even if the burden results from a rule of general applicability.

Recently, in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc., the USSC ruled that compelling closely held for profit corporations, whose shareholders object to certain contraceptives for religious reasons to provide those contraceptives violates the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. Based on that ruling, the Knapps may very well prevail.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ministers Threatened with Jail/Fines For Refusing to Officiate at Gay Weddings - by Jenny A - October 22, 2014 at 10:30 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High percent of republicans refusing covid vaccination brewer 36 3349 March 24, 2021 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Refusing service because of political party. brewer 212 32924 July 11, 2018 at 3:18 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Hey Jared! Do You Know What "Sweet Cheeks" Means In Jail? Minimalist 8 1030 January 20, 2018 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: Joods
  This Piece of Orange Shit Belongs In Jail Minimalist 86 8941 October 6, 2016 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pre-op lesbian place in male jail BrokenQuill92 2 1215 February 13, 2014 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD
  Rot in jail! Something completely different 17 3398 August 3, 2013 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  China: Visit your parents or go to jail Faith No More 3 1426 July 1, 2013 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Berlosconi sentenced to 4 years in jail Something completely different 12 5359 October 27, 2012 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Something completely different