Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 11, 2024, 11:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to Understand Many-Worlds Interpretation Better
RE: Trying to Understand Many-Worlds Interpretation Better
I'm just a layperson with no real knowledge of physics, but here's my understanding of it.

(November 28, 2014 at 9:26 pm)Irrational Wrote: If MWI is true, does this mean that anything that is possible has 100% happened somewhere in at least one of the infinite parallel universes? Is it really possible that there is a "me" out there somewhere that has done the most heinous things that one could ever imagine?

According to my understanding, no. All possible worlds evolve according to the same wave function equations, so only those things for which there is a quantum mechanically consistent evolution can occur. All possibilities occur as a result of the wave function collapsing in all possible ways that the wave function can collapse up to the Heisenberg cut.

(November 28, 2014 at 9:26 pm)Irrational Wrote: Must quantum immortality logically follow from the truth of MWI? Are we really each an immortal character in our own universe?
I don't understand quantum immortality enough to say anything. I suppose if immortality is consistent with a wave function collapse evolution.

(November 28, 2014 at 9:26 pm)Irrational Wrote: What bizarre things on the macro level have been witnessed in this particular universe that we share (if we even do share the exact same universe) that may hint at the truth of MWI?

I think this comes close to a misinterpretation. There may be no macro level events that suggest the existence of alternate evolutions of the wave function aside from the quantum level laws themselves, but I don't really know.

(November 28, 2014 at 9:26 pm)Irrational Wrote: What does this tell us about the possibility of Christianity or other religions (or gods) being true? If they are impossible here, would they still be considered impossible in all the other universes no matter how many parallel universes there may be?

I don't think the existence of a god in the traditional sense is compatible with ordinary quantum physics, so no, gods would not be a feature unless they are already a potential feature of this world line.

(November 28, 2014 at 9:26 pm)Irrational Wrote: What does this tell us about the ability to predict anything in the future given that MWI is true?

I'm not sure I understand the question. From what I understand, MWI in some sense implies the B theory of time, that all possible evolutions of the wave function have already occurred. The most numerous world lines will be those that are most probable according to the laws of quatum mechanics, but if the B theory of time holds, all the possible world lines exist simultaneously (if that concept even has any meaning).

(November 28, 2014 at 9:26 pm)Irrational Wrote: Finally, how do you feel about MWI being possibly true?

I'm a fan of MWI myself. But I really know too little about the physics to really have an opinion.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trying to Understand Many-Worlds Interpretation Better - by Angrboda - November 28, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the fact that many non-human animals have pituitary disprove Cartesian Dualism? FlatAssembler 36 2339 June 23, 2023 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 4198 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
  If people were 100% rational, would the world be better? vulcanlogician 188 23821 August 30, 2021 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 6128 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How many holes does a straw have? ignoramus 57 3439 August 19, 2018 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Argument from "better to seek proper vision". Mystic 53 6165 October 25, 2017 at 1:13 pm
  "What is the Lord of the Worlds?" Mystic 40 4041 October 1, 2017 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis Won2blv 83 14756 February 21, 2017 at 1:31 pm
  Strong desire to understand. Edwardo Piet 15 2883 September 14, 2016 at 4:37 am
Last Post: Athene
  Is world better without Saddam? TrueChristian 90 12751 December 31, 2015 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist