Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 12:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Theists on AF, I Challenge You to a Debate on the Existence of God
RE: Any Theists on AF, I Challenge You to a Debate on the Existence of God
(December 29, 2014 at 8:09 am)robvalue Wrote: Now the information that we possess and accept on the problem are not the same, hence the different stances on belief.

I don't understand what this means. What information do you have that I don't? What information are you accepting that I don't?
Logical proofs of God. What you and I understand are different which is why we believe differently. I accept religious information to be true. You understand it some other way besides true information. We have the same availability of information but can interpret that information individually. No two persons have the same understanding.

(December 29, 2014 at 8:09 am)robvalue Wrote: You agree there is no supernatural evidence. Therefor there is no logical reason to believe anything supernatural even exists. Just because we define something using words, it doesn't in any way make it real, or even possible.
I don't agree that there is no supernatural evidence. I think supernatural evidence is a logical fallacial statement that needs exorcising.

It definitely does not follow that it is logical to believe that nothing supernatural exists. Again, that is totally illogical. You cannot know, so you cannot comment on what you don't know. you have no way of finding out. Because we can define something logically makes the existence of something logical logically possible. We don't KNOW if it exists or not. This is our only correct scientific conclusion.

(December 29, 2014 at 8:09 am)robvalue Wrote: Again, it sounds to me like you're using a totally different way to come to conclusions than me (and other sceptics). You seem to be changing the level of evidence you are willing to accept for a claim based on how much you want the claim to be true. That's fine, but to call it logic is misguided.

You seem to be making claims with no relation to science or logic. I don't find that meets my standard for 'skeptic'.

(December 29, 2014 at 8:09 am)robvalue Wrote: Plum has it right, something being possible does not in any way demonstrate that it is true.
That's why I said it was 50/50 yes.

(December 29, 2014 at 8:11 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: fr0d0 I would agree that it is highly unlikely that there will be natural explanation for the supernatural. However before placing that claim please establish the plausibility of the 'supernatural'.

I claim to believe in a supernatural entity, to be clear. It's plausibility rests in its application. It explains purpose.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any Theists on AF, I Challenge You to a Debate on the Existence of God - by fr0d0 - December 29, 2014 at 9:22 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theists, tell me, an atheist, why your God has neglected to show himself to me? ignoramus 75 25408 March 5, 2021 at 6:49 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If artificial super intelligence erases humans, will theists see this as God's plan? Face2face 24 5390 March 5, 2021 at 6:40 am
  Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? Vast Vision 116 33702 March 5, 2021 at 6:39 am
  Is God weaker than theists imagine, and is mankind stronger? invalid 6 2393 March 5, 2021 at 6:38 am
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 42184 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17850 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4540 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3640 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 11495 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  How to destroy any argument for God Drich 46 5525 October 9, 2019 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda