Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:45 pm

Poll: How do you account for psychopaths?
This poll is closed.
I don’t believe God is responsible for our morality
50.00%
4 50.00%
I don’t accept that psychopaths really exist
0%
0 0%
Psychopaths are choosing to ignore their innate sense of right and wrong
0%
0 0%
God mistakenly misses out psychopaths when granting morality
0%
0 0%
It’s the psychopath’s fault they have no empathy
25.00%
2 25.00%
It’s because of “the fall”
0%
0 0%
Other
25.00%
2 25.00%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists: how do you account for psychopaths?
Theists: how do you account for psychopaths?
I hear many religious theists saying they believe morality "comes from God". I find the existence of psychopaths to be troubling to this idea. I wonder if you'd share how this fits in for you. Please add some explanation if you can, following your poll choice.

I'm using the scientific definition of a psychopath (a person with no empathy). They are generally considered to fall outside the scope of morality, as they have no innate feelings of right and wrong.

Many thanks!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Theists: how do you account for psychopaths?
Haven't you seen the movie, Frailty.

I can explain... you see, you're not supposed to take the "God" character literally!
Only his good deeds can be taken literally! Ignore the rest ... That's just angry goat herders talking. Everyone knows that.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I selected the first option. "I don't believe God is responsible for our morality."

See what I did there? Wink
"Parents sin bought such disaster on to their children". That's an opinion of orthodox xtians.
(May 22, 2018 at 4:58 am)robvalue Wrote: I'm using the scientific definition of a psychopath (a person with no empathy).

I think "a person with no conscience" is more accurate. By your definition I'm a psychopath Tongue
Here's a more complete description:

Quote:Psychopathy can be thought of as a more severe form of sociopathy with more symptoms. Therefore, all psychopaths are sociopaths but sociopaths are not necessarily psychopaths.

According to the Society for the Study of Psychopathy, psychopath traits include:

Lack of guilt/remorse
Lack of empathy
Lack of deep emotional attachments
Narcissism
Superficial charm
Dishonesty
Manipulativeness
Reckless risk-taking
Moreover, approximately 93% of psychopaths are in the criminal justice system.

Additional psychopath traits have been identified and more on these can be found in the article, Does a Psychopath Test Exist? Diagnosing the Psychopath.

https://www.healthyplace.com/personality...difference
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Indeed. I'm not dishonest or manipulative and I avoid risks and stay in my comfort zone. No idea if I'm narcissistic or not. I just have a high self esteem and love attention (if I feel safe when I get it). I think I experience anxiety rather than guilt and remorse. Not sure if my attachment to people is deep or not... but it feels deep to me. Although the longer I go through life the more I wonder if others experience connections much deeper than I do (and I certainly prefer to keep all my relationships on the internet, at least I have 'felt' that way for the last few years anyways). Charm? Sure. Superficial? Isn't all charm superficial? Tongue There's a big difference between being "Nice" and charming. I'm both.
Title: On a spreadsheet.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
No one has brought a pig by to absorb the demon and then go run off a cliff . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution cannot account for morality chiknsld 341 31519 January 1, 2023 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 16546 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 15967 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 23 7653 November 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? PETE_ROSE 455 100880 April 5, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  The Biblical Account of the Creation - A new look RonaldMcRaygun 10 2912 March 31, 2017 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Theists: would you view the truth? robvalue 154 17890 December 25, 2016 at 2:29 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Why are you Against Homosexuality (to theists) ScienceAf 107 16286 September 2, 2016 at 2:59 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Forum theists: when you have a moment, please... Athene 125 26533 October 27, 2015 at 11:09 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Theists, what does faith mean to you? Tartarus Sauce 133 31316 August 14, 2015 at 9:21 am
Last Post: Tartarus Sauce