Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 26, 2024, 1:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My privilege as a straight, white, cisgender, middle class thin male
RE: My privilege as a straight, white, cisgender, middle class thin male
(December 29, 2014 at 1:10 am)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(December 28, 2014 at 1:01 pm)TaraJo Wrote: Something else to keep in mind when going over privilege: that by itself is a sign of privilege. Specifically, at my last full-time job, I was one of only a handful of white people in a call center that usually had 50 or so people there. Most of my coworkers were black. I never heard they talking about oppression or privilege or any of that stuff. Sure, I talked with them, and I listened to the conversations many of them had amongst each other. So, if privilege is such an important thing, why is it never talked about by underpaid, black people? Shouldn't they be the ones most concerned about it? Or are the only ones who are able to worry about privilege actually some of the most privileged people on earth? A bunch of upper-middle-class, college educated, white girls, constantly chastising everyone else for having privilege; that's what you usually find in social justice circles. And it would be far easier to take their condemnation of privileged people more seriously if they were as willing to condemn themselves as harshly as they condemn others.

Privileged Liberal White People are the only ones who give half a rats ass about privilege.
Where did you get that idea? I'm not even considered a liberal by my country's standards, in fact I like capitalism. Perhaps because it's impossible to keep track of how many people of either group talks about privilege it's unreasonable to say that only the privileged group is the one talking about it... There are many liberal whites who don't care about privilege.

There are many reasons why a group doesn't speak about privilege or lack of thereof, it's not because it doesn't exist.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Messages In This Thread
RE: My privilege as a straight, white, cisgender, middle class thin male - by Dystopia - December 29, 2014 at 10:26 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The white privilege to terrorize Silver 116 10476 November 2, 2020 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Militias/BS white anxiety and toilet paper. Brian37 10 1557 October 29, 2020 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  White liberals are the true racists Sammin 55 5196 October 23, 2018 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  White Christians are in retreat Minimalist 0 289 October 21, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Shocked Do you think Trump will be arrested or kicked out of the White House soon? WinterHold 32 4340 July 25, 2018 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: John V
  The Thin-Skinned Orange Shitgibbon Can Only Handle Fox. Minimalist 0 411 July 25, 2018 at 1:58 am
  One Less Cunt In The White House Minimalist 0 409 June 5, 2018 at 8:34 pm
  The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight Minimalist 0 368 June 5, 2018 at 5:53 pm
  The SPLC - All White at the Top John V 29 4647 April 24, 2018 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Torture in The Middle East: memories from Syria's war. WinterHold 0 401 April 22, 2018 at 4:17 am
Last Post: WinterHold