Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 24, 2024, 9:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My privilege as a straight, white, cisgender, middle class thin male
RE: My privilege as a straight, white, cisgender, middle class thin male
(January 12, 2015 at 10:20 pm)NuclearJaguar Wrote: Just want to share my opinions on this thread before it really goes stale.

I find the word "privilege" to be the wrong word to use, let me explain why.

These third-wave feminists on the internet throw around this big word "privilege", in such a way that it suggests these things they are calling "privileges" shouldn't exist. To me, most of the things they describe as privileges are not privileges at all, they are rights. I feel like to call it a privilege suggests they are something that should be taken away from the people who have them, rather than given to the people who don't.

Let me give you an example, if you take the issue of catcalling in the street, which is harassment towards women. It's not a "privilege" to not be harassed, it's a right. Women should have that right too.

Being someone who is pretty middle-of-the-road on the almighty "privilege check" (I'm privileged as a white able-bodied male, but disadvantaged as a relatively poor gay person) I can kinda see both sides of the coin here. If I'm going to talk about the whole gay thing, for me the fight for gay rights shouldn't be about dragging straight people down to the level of "oppression" I face. It shouldn't be about making them feel bad for having rights which, as human beings, they are entitled to. It should be about trying to enjoy the same rights they do. By the same token though I can recognise that I'm not oppressed by the double whammy of both homophobia and racism that a black gay man may face, so that is a point for me to be considerate on.

Also if we're going to talk about every person who is in exactly the same level of "privilege" as me, that is to say a gay, white, poor, able-bodied male, we'd still have different experiences. A whole range of outside factors can influence how easy you have it in life. My parents may be a lot less accepting of my sexuality than the next gay person, but I may have some wealthy or influential contacts that the next poor person might not have.

It's all very wishy-washy and unrealistic to me. Intersectionality works on paper for pointing out the general trends, but the real world is more complex than "straight white male = easy life, black lesbian = struggle struggle struggle".

My point isn't to say that these people are wrong by any means, but I think we should change the use of the word "privilege". Think of these things as basic rights that everyone should have, not bonuses that should be taken away.

I just agree with this "straight white male = easy life, black lesbian = struggle struggle struggle", that it is an oversimplification.

I don't agree with changing how the word privilege is used, a lot of the things mentioned on the first page aren't privileges of a specific race or sex anyway.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Messages In This Thread
RE: My privilege as a straight, white, cisgender, middle class thin male - by paulpablo - January 13, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The white privilege to terrorize Foxaèr 116 8884 November 2, 2020 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Militias/BS white anxiety and toilet paper. Brian37 10 1267 October 29, 2020 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  White liberals are the true racists Sammin 55 4475 October 23, 2018 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  White Christians are in retreat Minimalist 0 251 October 21, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Shocked Do you think Trump will be arrested or kicked out of the White House soon? WinterHold 32 4028 July 25, 2018 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: John V
  The Thin-Skinned Orange Shitgibbon Can Only Handle Fox. Minimalist 0 375 July 25, 2018 at 1:58 am
  One Less Cunt In The White House Minimalist 0 385 June 5, 2018 at 8:34 pm
  The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight Minimalist 0 346 June 5, 2018 at 5:53 pm
  The SPLC - All White at the Top John V 29 4254 April 24, 2018 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Torture in The Middle East: memories from Syria's war. WinterHold 0 368 April 22, 2018 at 4:17 am
Last Post: WinterHold