Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2026, 12:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
intro - hello!
#1
intro - hello!
Hello!

I'm excited to join this community.

A little about me:
single guy in my early 30's, I was raised Modern Orthodox Jewish from birth went to orthodox jewish day schools and high school, studied in a Jewish religious all-male seminary in Israel, and started college at Yeshiva University. I finally decided in my early 20's that i was going to stop living for other people and try to actually do what I wanted. I transferred to Rutgers, slowly found my way to atheism and secular humanism, and had my first bacon cheese burger at 25 and never looked back.

When you're taught all your life that God doesn't want you to eat a bacon cheeseburger, when you eat your first one, well, words fail me.

Anyway, I'm now in my early 30's, of which I am thoroughly enjoying. I'm 3 years into my actual career, i have a few friends who, thankfully, stopped drinking the cool aid and support each other through our journey of self-acceptance despite our religious upbringing.

Now that I've settled down in a location and a career, i've been searching for something that I couldn't put my finger on until recently; a community. The orthodox community is pretty tightly knit and my family and family friends within the community constantly shared meals, family celebrations, and mourned the losses of relatives together. Since renouncing my faith, i've struggled to find a community of like minded people that i can call "extended family". Perhaps I'm coming here hoping i'll find an online version of this.

In the mean time, I'm looking into different events hosted by secular humanist and atheist groups in my area (NY/ north Jersey) but look forward to contributing to the online community that I see flourishing here.
Reply



Messages In This Thread
intro - hello! - by dreamsofpotato - January 24, 2015 at 8:02 pm
RE: intro - hello! - by Minimalist - January 24, 2015 at 8:04 pm
RE: intro - hello! - by dreamsofpotato - January 24, 2015 at 8:11 pm
RE: intro - hello! - by Cyberman - January 24, 2015 at 8:13 pm
RE: intro - hello! - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - January 24, 2015 at 8:23 pm
RE: intro - hello! - by Dystopia - January 24, 2015 at 8:27 pm
RE: intro - hello! - by IATIA - January 24, 2015 at 8:32 pm
RE: intro - hello! - by c172 - January 24, 2015 at 8:35 pm
RE: intro - hello! - by rexbeccarox - January 24, 2015 at 8:36 pm
RE: intro - hello! - by KichigaiNeko - January 24, 2015 at 8:43 pm
RE: intro - hello! - by Jackie - January 24, 2015 at 8:44 pm
RE: intro - hello! - by Minimalist - January 24, 2015 at 8:50 pm
RE: intro - hello! - by AFTT47 - January 24, 2015 at 9:39 pm
RE: intro - hello! - by SteelCurtain - January 24, 2015 at 10:54 pm
RE: intro - hello! - by Cyberman - January 24, 2015 at 11:22 pm
RE: intro - hello! - by robvalue - January 25, 2015 at 6:52 am
RE: intro - hello! - by Fidel_Castronaut - January 25, 2015 at 7:10 am
RE: intro - hello! - by pocaracas - January 25, 2015 at 7:43 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Re-intro OakTree500 4 397 September 4, 2026 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Intro DocIllinois 14 3448 August 6, 2021 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Belated intro Dom 20 4933 September 29, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Intro Reltzik 21 4791 September 26, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Intro Bow Before Zeus 15 4321 November 14, 2017 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  intro JamieBra 28 10370 September 23, 2017 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  MY INTRO rjh4 is back 7 2457 August 13, 2017 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Intro Court Jester 25 8682 June 24, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: KerimF
Bug I guess I should intro Monkeybuttorama 21 7565 May 26, 2017 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Caligvla XXI
  intro Otisknows 17 5199 February 6, 2017 at 12:02 am
Last Post: ignoramus



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)