Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 2:28 am

Poll: Universal moral truths exist
This poll is closed.
I agree
21.43%
3 21.43%
I disagree
78.57%
11 78.57%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"?
RE: Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"?
How about this scenario? Where I still argue the rape is rape and wrong, even if the person forgives it and decides the outcome outweighs that wrong:

What if a man, say a soldier is going off to serve the next day, and that night he has an absolute conviction
he is going to die, and he knows his wife wanted to have a baby with him even if and especially if he was going to die.

So he wakes her up and explains he is sure he will die and wants to go ahead and have sex and get pregnant.
but she doesn't want to have sex and thinks he will come back later and they can do this.
right now she is finishing up school and wants to wait to get pregnant.

He insists he knows this is their only chance now or never.
no time to go freeze sperm and wait. and he is ready now and doesnt think to just inseminate her
without the sex (or which she refuses also, insisting they will have a better opportunity later not now)
but goes ahead and penetrates her though she tells him to stop

so he does commit marital rape, when he could have just inseminated her without the sex
to get her pregnant but was panicked didn't think and just did it

so technically it is rape

but it turns out, he does die overseas, and was right that was their only chance

she gets pregnant and has the baby and is happy and knows she loves the baby and is glad for that

but the act of sex was still rape and was still wrong,
and could have been done by insemination but the wife refused
and the husband insisted and did what he felt was the lesser compromise

I'd say that the act of rape is still wrong
but it turns out the wife forgives it because the outcome made up for it afterwards

it is still rape and still wrong because not both partners consented

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"? - by Surgenator - October 31, 2014 at 12:29 am
RE: Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"? - by emilynghiem - February 20, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 12431 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 2466 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1375 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 2308 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 3693 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 2270 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 5601 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Photo Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ? Now I am a Believer 90 8543 January 28, 2020 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: notimportant1234
  Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ? Now I am a Believer 0 619 January 18, 2020 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Now I am a Believer
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 6764 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath