Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 7:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations
Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations
Hey everyone,

Don't you find it funny, when your family knows you're not religious, but still say why can't you come to 'Easter' ? I do have to work that day, but some of them suggested I take a vacation day and go see everyone, Idk. just to feel uncomfortable, I'll probably wait for a different weekend or a 'secular holiday' where religion isn't the main theme as always. How do you guys handle these invites?
RE: Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations
Anybody ask me to go to that shit I never speak to them again.
(March 27, 2023 at 4:38 pm)Tomatoshadow2 Wrote: Hey everyone,

Don't you find it funny, when your family knows you're not religious, but still say why can't you come to 'Easter' ? I do have to work that day, but some of them suggested I take a vacation day and go see everyone, Idk. just to feel uncomfortable, I'll probably wait for a different weekend or a 'secular holiday' where religion isn't the main theme as always. How do you guys handle these invites?

We are getting together on Easter but not for any religious reasons.  Everyone is off work and it's my son's birthday.  We get together on holidays but don't follow any of the traditions based on religion.

Even my Catholic family gatherings at Easter when I was a kid were more about getting together and eating lots of food and maybe playing some cards - and candy.  Christmas was about eating lots of food, opening gifts, and maybe playing some cards.

Are they going to make you pray or participate in some sort of other religious thing?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

@Gawdzilla Sama Gotcha, I should clarify, it's just a get together, I wouldn't go to a church or anything.

@arewethereyet I gotcha, that sounds chill, with no religious pressure. I'm not sure if your familiar with the former Tom Flynn? He was the publisher of 'Free Inquiry' an atheist magazine through the Center for Inquiry. He always believed to be more of a firm atheist, we shouldn't like participate in 'religious holidays' as it gives the holiday even more strength kind of thing. I did like jis idea of getting those out of society, but it is hard.

No, nothing else religious, just kind of the celebration of it, for me it's more against my principles. I would prefer maybe the 4th of July more, Idk, I still have time to decide.
(March 27, 2023 at 5:19 pm)Tomatoshadow2 Wrote: @Gawdzilla Sama Gotcha, I should clarify, it's just a get together, I wouldn't go to a church or anything.

@arewethereyet I gotcha, that sounds chill, with no religious pressure. I'm not sure if your familiar with the former Tom Flynn? He was the publisher of 'Free Inquiry' an atheist magazine through the Center for Inquiry. He always believed to be more of a firm atheist, we shouldn't like participate in 'religious holidays' as it gives the holiday even more strength kind of thing. I did like jis idea of getting those out of society, but it is hard.

No, nothing else religious, just kind of the celebration of it, for me it's more against my principles. I would prefer maybe the 4th of July more, Idk, I still have time to decide.

I'm just not that militant...probably because other than going through the motions of being Catholic, our family wasn't terribly religious.  They were just days most people are off work/school and everyone could get together.

Hope you work out something that feels right for you.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

@arewethereyet Yeah I gotcha, it's more the time spent together, yeah I'll figure it out, thanks! (:
(March 27, 2023 at 4:38 pm)Tomatoshadow2 Wrote: Hey everyone,

It depends on what they *do* at Easter. We drink red wine and sing along to Jesus Christ Superstar. Are there prayers? Are they going to gang up on you to "bring you back to the fold"? It really depends on what you think is likely to happen and your comfort level with it.
"When you get the message, hang up the phone" --Alan Watts on enlightenment. Levitate
I used to say "I'm no religious enough to call myself an atheist." I wasted a few decades. Meanwhile my hillbilly cousins continued to fester.
@Orbit They just pray before they eat, nothing super bad. No haha, they don't try anything with converting me anymore back into a believer, as I would probably stop talking to them all together.

@Gawdzilla Sama When you say you wasted a few decades, do you mean just by not calling yourself an atheist? Could you explain this some more. Damn, were they trying to convert you back into a believer?
(March 27, 2023 at 7:37 pm)Tomatoshadow2 Wrote: @Orbit They just pray before they eat, nothing super bad. No haha, they don't try anything with converting me anymore back into a believer, as I would probably stop talking to them all together.

@Gawdzilla Sama When you say you wasted a few decades, do you mean just by not calling yourself an atheist? Could you explain this some more. Damn, were they trying to convert you back into a believer?

I should have been an activist sooner. The hillbilly fucks try to convert everybody to their beliefs. I've knocked a few out at the family reunions, they don't learn too good. You shouldn't hand me a viper and say "God will protect you if you ask Him to."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 5150 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 2969 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2312 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Family not accepting you're an Atheist UniverseCaptain 45 5327 October 28, 2021 at 12:51 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Thanksgiving and Family BrokenQuill92 18 3130 December 7, 2019 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Why do neo marxist professors always wear 50s glasses, isnt it racist? Demi92 14 2802 July 7, 2018 at 2:05 am
Last Post: Joods
  How come there arent many atheists such as Bill Maher Roeki 30 8773 July 6, 2017 at 3:10 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  God can come 2nd to my son..... maestroanth 6 1377 January 1, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Joods
  How religious or nonreligious is your family? Casca 44 4182 December 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: camlov2019
  I Walked Away From Christianity, but How do I Walk Away From My Family? Rhondazvous 14 2803 October 31, 2016 at 2:57 am
Last Post: AceBoogie