Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 2:29 am

Poll: Universal moral truths exist
This poll is closed.
I agree
21.43%
3 21.43%
I disagree
78.57%
11 78.57%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"?
RE: Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wr...
(February 20, 2015 at 12:36 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: Objective: Not subject to anyone's opinions, beliefs, values or judgment.
Subjective: Subject to someone's opinions, beliefs, values or judgment.
Universal: Not subject to time, place or culture.
Relative: Subject to time, place or culture.

Can we agree on the above definitions?

I don't see the point of those definitions. How are they useful or helpful? You've managed to make meteorology, and even mathematics, subjective. But you only did it by making "subjective" cover everything. What's the point of that?

Would you define "big" and "little" by saying that anything larger than a Planck length is big?

Quote:If so, I would suggest that "higher moral code" has no bearing on whether or not morality is subjective. If God exists and dictates a code of morality, then morality is still subjective, by definition.

Agreed. That is, if we're assuming that the god is dictating rules based on his whims. If he's dictating rules based on his observations of reality, then his moral rules may be objective (for some value of "objective") but they would still exist (and still be objective) even if the god did not exist.

Quote:...
Key words: "someone", "values", "judgment".

Ergo, morality is subjective.

Now, morality also deals with how we treat our fellow beings. You may have your culture but your freedom ends where it infringes on my life. This has to do with the concept of "sovereignty" of an individual as well as the "social contract".

Now you're suddenly talking as if you are in possession of cold hard facts. Objective facts. Why did you bother to define everything as subjective if you still need us to pay attention as if morality wasn't your personal whim?

Quote:Actions have consequences. Where the consequences impact others, they are not a matter of personal taste. I like strawberry ice cream. You might like chocolate ice cream. This is subjective and relative. However, you have no right to force feed me chocolate ice cream.

Why not, if this is all subjective?

Quote:Ergo, morality is not relative but rather universal.

Wow, that came out of the blue. Your definition of "universal" made everything, or almost everything, relative, didn't it?

Let's, just for illustration, push everything to the other end. Instead of defining universal as things that are in no degree subject to time, place, or culture, let's define things as universal if they are to any degree independent of time, place, or culture. That's just as skewed, but it's skewed in the other direction. Now you can say morality is universal.

Quote:Hope this helps.

I'm still confused, but thanks for trying.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wr... - by wiploc - February 20, 2015 at 4:00 pm
RE: Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"? - by Surgenator - October 31, 2014 at 12:29 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 12431 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 2466 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1375 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 2308 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 3693 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 2270 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 5601 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Photo Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ? Now I am a Believer 90 8543 January 28, 2020 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: notimportant1234
  Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ? Now I am a Believer 0 619 January 18, 2020 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Now I am a Believer
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 6764 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath