Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 2:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolution Theory - please show the proofs
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs
(August 24, 2010 at 2:27 pm)NoGodaloud ? Wrote: ok. lets start with this paper. Please quote the part of the paper, which convinced you and gave you unquestionable proof, human speech was due and arose through gradual evolution.

and remember : any answer with explanations like " might be ", " probably ", " guess ", " its supposed " do not consist in proofs, but in guesswork.

will you accept the challenge, or not ??

How shall I put this...
Your question is invalid. My opinion on evolution (human speech or otherwise) did not shift because of that paper. I've been convinced of evolution based on every paper I've ever read on evolution, the class I was taught in high school, the documentaries I've seen on television, the interviews of experts in the field, the photograpic evidence (in the case of the specific documentary I saw, some ages ago, was of a kind of moth that changed color due to the change in environment due to pollutants from a nearby power plant, but to that point, I've seen other documentaries in the meantime over a variety and wide range of evidence in support of these ideas.) The change was genetic and not merely a result of some chemical reaction a trait was born to pass down from generation of moth to moth. The evidence in the fossil record and the consistency of radiometric dating also contribute to this end but the evidence exists in the genetic record as well. For example, we share well over 95% of our genetic code with our closest biological cousin, the chimpanzee. It's even been theorized by genetic scientists that a humanzee is possible (despite the different number of chromosomes) which could only be possible if the two of our species weren't closely related in the same sense that two cats of two different species are related (a tiger housecat and a siamese housecat, for example) or other animals that are a result of hybridization in plants, animals (ligers, zebra-horse hybrids, etc), and the list goes on. I only bring this up as a possibility because the only thing that has prevented someone from attempting this is the ethics of actually attempting to make a human-chimpanzee hybrid, but I've seen many documentaries and papers on the matter and one of them even spoke of a scientist working in secret in the old Soviet Union who did make the attempt between a chimp sperm and human female, but the attempt was not completed.

When I compare that to, for example, creation science - there is no fossil evidence and the fossils that do exist contradict any and all religious claims from virtually all religions that formulated the creation theory prior or despite all the evidence that is present. The evidence in astronomy, including light from galaxies literally billions of light years away and the background microwave radiation that can only be indicitive of modern theories of the big bang model of physics, and many many more examples that have yet to be cited and have been cited in our discussions never point toward the explanations given by anyone attempting to prove the existence of god unless he does so entirely in the gaps where our knowledge does not extend, such as prior to the big bang and often despite our modern understanding of physical law (the first law of thermodynamics, for example, stating that matter cannot be created or destroyed).

Miracles, for example, have a complete lack of tested effectiveness. Assuming they do at all exist, they appear at random and often have trivial consequences (jesus appears on a cheese sandwitch at the same time millions are starving to death or getting killed by natural disaster). For example, prayer has no tested or repeatable benefit to the sick in lieu of modern medicine or some other natural causation (such as remission of cancer).

And it's a combination of all those reasons and far, far more why I personally have no regard for religion or religious science.

There is another reason why your question is invalid:
The entire paper has to do with the evolution of human speech. The beginning of the paper covers the differences between us and chimps in regard to our vocal acuity in terms of differences in anatomy and essentially the hows and whys of that anatomical necessities for formulate speech as we do. The paper moves then into tracing the volution through genetic and fossil evidence with a focus on the position of the larynx within the skeletal structure (which, if you know comparative anatomy, can be accurately formulated based on the position of the skull, spine, and the bones in the upper torso) as well as all of the other necessary components of human speech, such as the tongue, changes in skeletal structure, and facial features (such as articulate lips) in order to support human speech in comparison to the evidence that can be provided by the fossil record, including accurate reconstructions of prior homo species and 'cousin' homo species, such as the neanderthalls.
The paper them moves into the neural capabilities in the same light in terms of brain size, shape, and approximate positions of certain lobes (dermined by the shape of the skull, genetic history) as well as detailed analysis of the modern human brain in terms of modern speech patterns over varying conditions. The paper then moves into comparing the results of studies involving all of the above in order to make conclusions based on the rudementary foundings of human speech based on his own studies and those of the several pages worth of 'works cited'.

Given all of the above, the only appropriate answer I can give your question is to quote the entire paper and tell you that that is the evidence of evolution of human speech. I do also need to note that I do not rely solely on this paper, but this and all others like it.

Now, let's diverge on a seporate topic for a moment and we can go back to the MIT paper in a moment because I have a few questions for you.

First, since you have stated that you believe in micro evolution, I need you to explain the difference between micro and macro evolution to have it iterated here for the benefit of me, you, and everyone else who wishes to join in on the discussion. Note that I asked you to provide your definition. I do not want a link to some website with an answer you dug up but rather I want you to explain your position on the matter. This is especially pertinent because the science on evolution as I understand it makes no distinction between micro and macro evolution.

Second, you need to better explain what evidence you're going to be satisfied with. The ones you've given at the beginning of this thread is not specific enough because right now, I'm not at all convinced that once the evidence you've asked for has been provided that you'll acknowledge it because as far as I'm concerned, all of the evidence has already been provided by me on the other thread and a casual stroll through websites with information on this specific topic that Eilonnwy has already provided.

As I've stated before, you've already chosen to completely ignore the entire fossil record but you haven't explained the reasoning behind that either, beyond a very broad statement that has more to do with your personal opinion than any science or lack thereof in the subject.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan

Messages In This Thread
Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by NoGodaloud ? - August 23, 2010 at 11:24 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by theVOID - August 23, 2010 at 11:51 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Entropist - August 24, 2010 at 12:27 am
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Shell B - August 24, 2010 at 1:02 am
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Shell B - August 24, 2010 at 1:29 am
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by lrh9 - August 24, 2010 at 12:30 am
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Entropist - August 24, 2010 at 12:35 am
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by padraic - August 24, 2010 at 1:39 am
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by TheDarkestOfAngels - August 24, 2010 at 4:17 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Thor - August 24, 2010 at 3:11 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by leo-rcc - August 24, 2010 at 7:02 am
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Tiberius - August 24, 2010 at 10:34 am
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Entropist - August 24, 2010 at 10:50 am
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by leo-rcc - August 24, 2010 at 11:25 am
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Entropist - August 24, 2010 at 11:37 am
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by LastPoet - August 24, 2010 at 12:09 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Thor - August 24, 2010 at 12:36 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Thor - August 24, 2010 at 5:02 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Shell B - August 24, 2010 at 9:01 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Shell B - August 24, 2010 at 10:07 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Shell B - August 24, 2010 at 10:54 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Thor - August 24, 2010 at 5:46 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by AnunZi - August 25, 2010 at 5:21 am
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Shell B - August 25, 2010 at 4:47 am
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Shell B - August 25, 2010 at 6:16 am
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Thor - August 25, 2010 at 1:02 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Shell B - August 25, 2010 at 3:57 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Thor - August 25, 2010 at 4:22 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by padraic - August 25, 2010 at 7:32 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by DiRNiS - August 25, 2010 at 8:32 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by HeyItsZeus - September 10, 2010 at 10:07 am
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Thor - August 27, 2010 at 10:48 am
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Skipper - September 9, 2010 at 12:12 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Ashendant - September 9, 2010 at 5:32 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Skipper - September 9, 2010 at 12:37 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Skipper - September 10, 2010 at 9:02 am
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Skipper - September 10, 2010 at 3:58 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Watson - September 10, 2010 at 12:05 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by theVOID - September 13, 2010 at 10:29 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Minimalist - September 10, 2010 at 12:39 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Watson - September 10, 2010 at 7:08 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Minimalist - September 13, 2010 at 1:44 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by padraic - September 10, 2010 at 7:56 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Skipper - September 11, 2010 at 5:33 am
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Minimalist - September 13, 2010 at 3:44 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by krazedkat - September 13, 2010 at 9:32 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Watson - September 13, 2010 at 10:49 pm
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Thor - September 14, 2010 at 9:47 am
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by downbeatplumb - September 14, 2010 at 11:31 am
RE: Evolution Theory - please show the proofs - by Minimalist - September 14, 2010 at 3:59 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Please convince me gender is binary tackattack 189 13657 February 13, 2019 at 12:22 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theory of Evolution, Atheism, and Homophobia. RayOfLight 31 5152 October 25, 2017 at 9:24 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Damn, should I even be watching this show? vorlon13 13 2561 August 18, 2017 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Panspermia theory? mediocrates 28 5060 May 24, 2017 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Test My Theory: Macro evolution DOES happen? Gawdzilla Sama 44 13099 December 20, 2016 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Giulio Tononi's Theory of Consciousness Jehanne 11 3390 September 18, 2016 at 6:38 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The simple body test that proves the theory of evolution TubbyTubby 17 2820 March 22, 2016 at 5:50 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Scientific Debate: Why I assert that Darwin's theory of evolution is false Rob216 206 37641 November 10, 2014 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Nature: Does evolutionary theory need a rethink? Dolorian 10 4135 October 12, 2014 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Chas
  Selfish Gene Theory Mudhammam 18 6777 February 1, 2014 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam