Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 4, 2024, 11:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion
RE: Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion
To put it shortly (and there are many here that will go into much more detail than I) the Kalaam argument relies entirely on ideas that only apply to the universe as we experience it now (and even then, the whole "cause" wormhole is hopelessly blurred and messy thanks to quantum indeterminacy), and tries to take the model of the universe we have now (which is only possible due to the nature of the universe after the big bang), and apply it to a time before t=0 at which our current ideas of space-time have absolutely no relevance.

We can't make any affirmative statements of any kind dealing with our universe before t=0 (or even the planck time for that matter), because our entire understanding of reality is predicated on the universe after t=0. We don't know if there even exists a time before t=0, or if that question even makes sense, or if there have been infinite universes before t=0, or if all time of any kind originated at t=0, and so on and so forth; it's a massive, enormous utter unknown (for now), and honest people will simply say "We don't know" when it comes to such topics. People who use the Kalaam are exploiting that giant 'unknown' as an opportunity to crowbar in metaphysical and theological ideas that have absolutely no justification, but have an attractive veneer because it's an answer to the great unknown that scientists readily admit. It just happens the answer that the Kalaam presents is unsubstantiated, appropriates scientific terms and ideas for unscientific means, and claims to have knowledge about an issue that cannot be verified, measured, tested, falsified, or reviewed in any way.

Not to mention the hugely vague and undefinable concepts of 'beyond matter, space and time'. There's no evidence to suggest there's something 'beyond matter space and time' at all, or if that's even possible, or what it would look like if it was.

The Kalaam is WLC's pet 'argument', and he frills it up with a lot of metaphysics and tenuous logic knots, but his premises only make any sense if you just accept his re-definitions of already defined terms, and just 'go along with it' and ignore the glaring problems in his argument.

(Folks with more thorough knowledge please correct me if I'm wrong, I just went for a short summary. Just the idea of "cause" could be an entire thread on its own.)
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion - by FatAndFaithless - March 18, 2015 at 11:36 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 594 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  "Why is it reasonable to believe in prisons, but not in the hell?" FlatAssembler 124 10279 February 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 9128 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Looking for comments / ideas for WIP project ABCs of Atheism Judashpeters 18 4951 April 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Judashpeters
  Old threads of discussion I have had. Mystic 125 19188 April 3, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Am I a Deist? Cosmological Argument seems reasonable to me. _Velvet_ 97 18124 September 28, 2016 at 8:05 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheism Looking Good! TrueChristian 52 8152 February 15, 2016 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Mock dialogue of the Theist/Atheist discussion here. Mystic 99 26671 January 11, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  christian looking to understand athiests msid 212 38098 August 21, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  JW looking clarity followup Won2blv 108 13622 April 27, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Aractus