Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 4, 2024, 11:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion
RE: Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion
Hey Griffin, since you posed the same question here as in our PM, I'm just going to post the reply I sent you, in case others would benefit or would like to make further comments on the points I raised.

1. I have a creeping suspicion that concepts such as "causality" and "necessary being," which is what is truly meant by First Cause, are really not quite so simple as those we perceive in the context of our everyday experience; in fact, we know we don't live in a billiard ball universe as Newtonian physics once had us believe we did, and causality begins to look very strange at the level of fundamental particles. So, any argument that appeals to the nature of our experiences, as this one does (going back to the Scholastics and farther back still to Plato), must consider the knowledge we possess about that nature, and that knowledge is leaps and bounds above the soaring heights ancient and medieval philosophers believed natural philosophy could soar. It's far from certain that the Singularity (Big Bang) represents the beginning of being in such a way that justifies our appeal to "first" cause, although that might be a point I'd be willing to grant for the sake of language.

2. I'm not so sure the logic of the Kalam is valid. I readily admit that an infinite regress is inconceivable---which leaves it in the same ballpark as necessary being or first cause---but is it illogical? It seems to me to expose the limitations of reason but not necessarily any inherent contradiction. Why can't we logically ask what caused the cause we are calling the first? Perhaps one could suggest an "eternal recurrence," an idea also suggested by the ancients (Presocratics like Empedocles and Zeno, that famous lover of paradoxes involving infinities), and taken up again by Nietzsche, and retort that the First Cause is the same as the Last Effect, and causation is a cycle that has no beginning or end but is a genesis, a becoming to be, that exists necessarily? Then again, does that really satisfy the concept of infinity or does it suggest setting limits on infinity by conceiving it as a closed series? And if it's an open series, then how could any effect follow a cause when we can't seem to find the point where the fourth cause was begotten by the third, which was begotten by the second, and then of course, that followed the first? But to even the ask that question, haven't we already conceived infinity as a closed series? Haven't we merely set an arbitrary starting point and asked where the other end lies, and if so, what is logically different about doing this whether we conceive time as moving forwards or backwards?

Most importantly, though, what does "first cause" do to actually alleviate the situation? I'm inclined to agree with Arthur Schopenhauer when he wrote, "A first cause is just as inconceivable as is the point where space has an end or as a moment when time had a beginning. For every cause is a change and here we are necessarily bound to ask about the change which preceded it, and by that which it had been brought about, and so on ad infinitum, ad infinitum... The law of causality is therefore not so obliging as to allow itself to be used like a cab which we dismiss after we reach our destination." How could a first cause be anything that becoming can't be?

3. Why should we assume this First Cause, if we allow ourselves that, is God? Wouldn't that be an unnecessary step which easily leads into the same folly that the ancients committed when they treated the Sun as a god?

What do you think?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion - by Mudhammam - March 18, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 594 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  "Why is it reasonable to believe in prisons, but not in the hell?" FlatAssembler 124 10279 February 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 9128 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Looking for comments / ideas for WIP project ABCs of Atheism Judashpeters 18 4951 April 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Judashpeters
  Old threads of discussion I have had. Mystic 125 19188 April 3, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Am I a Deist? Cosmological Argument seems reasonable to me. _Velvet_ 97 18124 September 28, 2016 at 8:05 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheism Looking Good! TrueChristian 52 8152 February 15, 2016 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Mock dialogue of the Theist/Atheist discussion here. Mystic 99 26671 January 11, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  christian looking to understand athiests msid 212 38098 August 21, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  JW looking clarity followup Won2blv 108 13622 April 27, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Aractus