Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 4, 2024, 11:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion
RE: Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion
(March 22, 2015 at 6:36 pm)Mezmo! Wrote:
(March 21, 2015 at 2:32 pm)watchamadoodle Wrote: I don't know if anybody has mentioned this, but what does "a cause"/"cause"/etc. mean? Why should every change in reality have a cause from the past? The cause and effect model may be something that works well for our hunter/gatherer brains, but it doesn't work for cosmology?
A cause basically reduces down to the idea of what makes something the thing that it is, i.e. its nature. In the case of efficient cause, which one of the four types of Aristotelian causes, the question it answers about a sensible body is "How did it come to be?"

As noted in other posts people easily misunderstand the origin of the phrase 'begins to exist'. The original dilemma from which it sprang initially had nothing at all to do with the gods. The problem concerned the tension between how things remain the same throughout change: Paracelsus versus Heraclitus. Anyone can see that things come into existence, persist for a time, them cease to be. How does this apply to the whole of reality. If All of Being could change then what keeps it from ceasing to be? But if All of Being were unchanging then nothing would happen. Thus began the search for the universals that persist within all things subject to change.
Most things that we observe existing for a time are only abstractions for organizations of other things (the Earth, a human body, a nation, etc.). The time of birth and death we assign to these abstractions depends on when certain properties of the abstraction begin to exist and cease to exist.

How about things like truth? Does truth begin to exist and cease to exist?

Just as a layman who doesn't know philosophy, I'm not impressed with what I've heard of the First Cause argument for God. It seems very shallow.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion - by watchamadoodle - March 22, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 594 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  "Why is it reasonable to believe in prisons, but not in the hell?" FlatAssembler 124 10279 February 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 9128 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Looking for comments / ideas for WIP project ABCs of Atheism Judashpeters 18 4951 April 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Judashpeters
  Old threads of discussion I have had. Mystic 125 19188 April 3, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Am I a Deist? Cosmological Argument seems reasonable to me. _Velvet_ 97 18124 September 28, 2016 at 8:05 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheism Looking Good! TrueChristian 52 8152 February 15, 2016 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Mock dialogue of the Theist/Atheist discussion here. Mystic 99 26671 January 11, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  christian looking to understand athiests msid 212 38098 August 21, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  JW looking clarity followup Won2blv 108 13622 April 27, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Aractus