Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 4, 2024, 11:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion
RE: Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion
(March 23, 2015 at 6:19 am)Delicate Wrote: "Reality, ie 'the total set of everything that exist,' includes as a member 'entity x with properties P.'"…This is a claim about reality.

Delicate, as a junior member, you need to understand something about Esquilax; he is an excellent debater. His bag of tricks plays on very specific modern reworkings of long-standing philosophical arguments. If you are not clear about the historic meaning of certain terms his distractions will trip you up.

So, I feel it necessary to tell you that the William Lane Craig also forgets the neo-Scholastic underpinnings of cosmological arguments. Without those underpinnings, certain ambiguities get incorporated that atheists exploit.

You are correct in so far as the argument concerns the nature of reality taken as a whole, which should not be confused with physical reality. The pre-Socratics started this inquiry and while many would dismiss their arguments, they provide an important and necessary context which I will summarize below while addressing Esquilax’s argument of convenience.

(March 23, 2015 at 2:32 am)Esquilax Wrote: Not a one of the theists who seem to think Kalam is so cogent and relevant has ever even approached making an argument that the category of uncreated things has anything in it at all.

So the question is whether or not the category of uncreated has anything in it at all. Let’s unpack that. First we are talking about something that actually exists. Next, this hypothetical being does not depend on anything else for its existence.

No one can say that reality does not exist. Nor is it possible to say that reality is anything other than one thing, since nothing other than reality exists. The ancients called this the All. The All cannot be created from nothing because nothing does not exist. Nor could the All have been created by another because then the All would no longer be one thing. Thus we have something uncreated that must exist: the All.

Further arguments build upon this certainty from which it becomes clear that the All must be, unlike the physical universe and the things in it, in full actuality. Right now I do not have time to fully present on those demonstrations. For now it is sufficient to show that Esquilax is simply wrong; the category of uncreated things does contain at least one thing: the All.

(March 22, 2015 at 8:14 pm)watchamadoodle Wrote: What would be an example of a real object? I can't think of a real object except the entire universe. The objects within the universe are simply arbitrary abstractions IMO.
Wow! I do not think I have ever heard on such an honest profession of radical nominalism.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion - by Neo-Scholastic - March 23, 2015 at 5:30 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 594 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  "Why is it reasonable to believe in prisons, but not in the hell?" FlatAssembler 124 10278 February 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 9128 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Looking for comments / ideas for WIP project ABCs of Atheism Judashpeters 18 4951 April 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Judashpeters
  Old threads of discussion I have had. Mystic 125 19188 April 3, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Am I a Deist? Cosmological Argument seems reasonable to me. _Velvet_ 97 18124 September 28, 2016 at 8:05 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheism Looking Good! TrueChristian 52 8152 February 15, 2016 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Mock dialogue of the Theist/Atheist discussion here. Mystic 99 26671 January 11, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  christian looking to understand athiests msid 212 38098 August 21, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  JW looking clarity followup Won2blv 108 13622 April 27, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Aractus