Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 4, 2024, 11:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion
RE: Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion
(March 24, 2015 at 5:53 pm)The Reality Salesman Wrote: I don't get it! It's hard to be a human being, existing in a reality comprised of distinct objects,
It's fucked up, man. Life is one cruel joke. You wake up, catch the bug of philosophy, try to read as much as you can and understand the nature of your existence, then the inevitable occurs: you fail, and die.
(March 24, 2015 at 5:53 pm)The Reality Salesman Wrote: Saying "a shell is a shell" is a truth statement about the nature of a shell. It's akin to saying 1=1 which corresponds with the nature of existence.
What troubles me---yes troubles---is that the idea of a "shell" IS a one-to-one correlation with that physical object that we can study with the senses; the word is arbitrarily assigned to some discrete thing. The idea of "1" and the principles of mathematics do not entail that sort of relationship with anything we perceive: we don't find prime numbers in the world, but we find them in thought, as properties that belong to the objects, yet they exist only in the abstract. How is this so? Then we come to infinity, a property of sets. And we learn that the infinity of sets are larger than the infinity of integers. Well. Fuck. And there is NOT an infinite amount of matter, as we know by the First Law of Thermodynamics. Something strange is going on.
(March 24, 2015 at 8:53 pm)whateverist Wrote: There is no reason to ascribe any independent existence to them apart from their use to the life of a mind.
But imagine a Universe prior to minds. Doesn't math still run the show?
(March 24, 2015 at 8:53 pm)whateverist Wrote: numbers reveal a world of necessary relationships that are there to be discovered.
Necessary only when minds conceive numerical value or necessary as unchanging abstract principles with an existence independent of minds, being intrinsic properties of the whole shebang?

And doesn't that explain why:
(March 24, 2015 at 8:53 pm)whateverist Wrote: Unlike with colors, no one wonders "do numbers seem the same to others as they do to me?" We understand that numbers, though they exist as such only in the life of the mind are nonetheless neither arbitrary nor subject to personal opinion. To perceive the world as we do is to take note of number and to recognize many true and false applications of numbers.
(Bold mine)
That's... nuts. Because moreover, true applications actually reveal the whole "blueprint" for the poetry of motion...
(March 24, 2015 at 8:53 pm)whateverist Wrote: Like everyone else here, the best I can do is to vomit up a number of impressions lacking any useful structure. I'm sure there are well articulated theories on the subject but I can't say that I've been drawn to work out any personal point of view about this. Sorry.
It's okay, man. I have no idea what to make of numbers right now either. But maybe I'll become a Pythagorean.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion - by Mudhammam - March 24, 2015 at 9:50 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 594 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  "Why is it reasonable to believe in prisons, but not in the hell?" FlatAssembler 124 10279 February 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 9128 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Looking for comments / ideas for WIP project ABCs of Atheism Judashpeters 18 4951 April 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Judashpeters
  Old threads of discussion I have had. Mystic 125 19188 April 3, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Am I a Deist? Cosmological Argument seems reasonable to me. _Velvet_ 97 18124 September 28, 2016 at 8:05 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheism Looking Good! TrueChristian 52 8152 February 15, 2016 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Mock dialogue of the Theist/Atheist discussion here. Mystic 99 26671 January 11, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  christian looking to understand athiests msid 212 38098 August 21, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  JW looking clarity followup Won2blv 108 13622 April 27, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Aractus