Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 11, 2024, 3:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indiana's Govenor Signs 'Religious Freedom' Bill
RE: Indiana's Govenor Signs 'Religious Freedom' Bill
(April 6, 2015 at 3:54 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(April 6, 2015 at 2:51 pm)Heywood Wrote: More weaseling and baseless claims.

Like I said earlier, if you want to talk about baseless claims, you're welcome to provide a verifiable reason for discrimination that doesn't rely on the unevidenced religious claims of the christian god. Until then, I'd kindly invite you to stop dismissing my claims regarding discrimination, which have a rich tradition of bearing out exactly as I've said, merely because you're incapable of thinking back even a few years. Just look up the record that employment discrimination against gay people has, and then tell me things won't be exactly the same if you give those same goddamn people another method to discriminate with.

Quote:Can you point to a study that shows gays can't easily hire florists, or photographers, or get health care when they need it?  Can you provide some actual independent evidence of your claim instead of simply re-iterating it hoping that if you do it enough, it magically becomes fact?

Can I point to a study indicating the results of what would happen if a thing that was illegal before now became legal? Sorry, no department of hypothetical science that I know of just yet, but the past is always a good indicator of the future, and as I've pointed out in the past, conservative states equipped with the legal ability to discriminate tend to foster inequality toward gay people because of this: the fact that you don't think it's a big deal because that's not important to your argument is little more than your own baseless claim. I'd invite you to live as a gay person under such discrimination for a little while so you can make that claim in an informed way.

But hey, in the end I'd just like you to admit to what you're arguing for: just say "I hate gay people so much that I'm willing to open the possibility that they and their children die or suffer medical problems, because I hold the religious opinions of others in higher regard than their lives." Because that, ultimately, is what you're arguing for here; you could at least be honest enough to say it. And if you can't, then I guess you don't really feel that strongly about all this. Your convictions only last up until the point that you're required to own up for the nasty shit you believe.

In many states it is already been and has been legal to refuse to serve someone because they are gay.  You're just trying to weasel out of backing up your claim with an excuse that doesn't hold water.

The truth is, the only problem that exists is people like you are butthurt that there exist a few people like pizzeria owners who don't want to serve gays.  I am sorry, but your butthurt isn't a sufficient reason to start curtailing individual rights.

(April 6, 2015 at 3:59 pm)Cato Wrote: Heywood's argument in this thread strongly resembles the argument some make about the cause of the U.S. Civil War; that it was a conflict about states' rights and had nothing at all to do with slavery.

Having lost the argument, Cato tries to change the subject to justifications for the Civil War.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Indiana's Govenor Signs 'Religious Freedom' Bill - by Heywood - April 6, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bill Clinton and Ukraine Interaktive 4 388 August 5, 2022 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  What happens if you "tell" a police to f**k off? Freedom of speech? Duty 16 1124 April 17, 2022 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  TX social media censorship bill Fake Messiah 24 2319 September 14, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Crypto bill paulpablo 31 2850 August 19, 2021 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Az Lawmaker introduces scary bill. Brian37 40 3813 February 1, 2021 at 10:29 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 1150 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Compare Joe Biden In 2012 To Him Today: Signs of Dementia Are Clear ReptilianPeon 11 2023 April 12, 2020 at 6:00 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Equal pay for women's soccer or no Fed funding bill brewer 55 5355 August 4, 2019 at 7:25 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Farm Bill Food Fight The Grand Nudger 20 3697 May 15, 2018 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  The Power of Freedom vs. Hate Speech Laws Mechaghostman2 13 1676 May 1, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3