Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Power of Freedom vs. Hate Speech Laws
The Power of Freedom vs. Hate Speech Laws
I feel that the 1st amendment gives us all the tools that we need to fight against hate speech. Everything from countering their arguments to getting bigots fired. Plus it's a method that doesn't create martyrs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXFrBTK4...e=youtu.be

RE: The Power of Freedom vs. Hate Speech Laws
I'm all for freedom of speech.

What some people fail to realise when they're caught in hate speech and detrimental things start happening to them is that freedom of speech does not make you immune to the CONSEQUENCES of that speech.

So, if you make public racist, sexist, or generally hateful speech, don't bitch when people respond negatively to you.
Dying to live, living to die.
Where's the line drawn?

Let's say I make a credible threat on your life. It's just free speech, yes? Does it only become actionable when I actually show up to kill you?
Suppress people's write to speak their mind freely, and you'll just create a series of silent explosions that would end eventually in a big big big blow.
Let people speak their mind freely except when somebody starts to cause physical harm to others through speech (like threats with murder).
Er..pretty sure the courts have already ruled on threats and inciting violence.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(May 1, 2018 at 3:44 pm)Cathooloo Wrote: Where's the line drawn?

Let's say I make a credible threat on your life. It's just free speech, yes? Does it only become actionable when I actually show up to kill you?

Good point.

In those instances I think the kaw should become involved immediately. And, in most places, laws are already in place to cover threats like this.

Though I also believe that, in many cases, those laws are enforced far too weakly.
Dying to live, living to die.
The problem is that SJW's equate hurt feelings and disturbing ideas with actual physical violence.
Quote:Where's the line drawn?

In the US the case is Brandenburg v Ohio.

Quote:What is the significance of the Brandenburg v Ohio case?

Decision: The Supreme Court reversed Brandenburg's conviction as unconstitutional. Significance: After Brandenburg, the First Amendment protects speech unless it encourages immediate violence or other unlawful action.

Thus:  "We should kill those motherfuckers" is protected speech whereas "Let's go kill THAT motherfucker right now" is not.

On such nuances are laws made.
Just don't make fun of Huckabee's eyeshadow. The Neo-Con Snowflakes will get pissy.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(May 1, 2018 at 3:50 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(May 1, 2018 at 3:44 pm)Cathooloo Wrote: Where's the line drawn?

Let's say I make a credible threat on your life.  It's just free speech, yes?  Does it only become actionable when I actually show up to kill you?

Good point.

In those instances I think the kaw should become involved immediately.  And, in most places, laws are already in place to cover threats like this.

Though I also believe that, in many cases, those laws are enforced far too weakly.

The bolded text is the real question. The rest is just rhetorical cruft to get people thinking of why the first question is important, and why free speech is not without limits.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about choice and laws in the USA ShinyCrystals 7 887 October 15, 2023 at 10:14 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1199 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What happens if you "tell" a police to f**k off? Freedom of speech? Duty 16 988 April 17, 2022 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The problem with "Hate crimes". onlinebiker 25 1123 February 11, 2022 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Who has the power Spongebob 19 951 January 23, 2022 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Why do we hate the American military institution? WinterHold 16 823 November 23, 2021 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  With All the Anti-QAnon Hate, How Come We Never Hear About Christian Zionism? Seax 21 1751 April 6, 2021 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Navalny’s speech from court Fake Messiah 3 204 February 5, 2021 at 5:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  BREAKING:Trump refuses to commit to a peaceful transition of power after Election Day WinterHold 97 4946 October 2, 2020 at 1:50 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  USA politics of hate Richi29 4 343 July 23, 2020 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama