Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 4:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Philosophy of Salah/Daily Connection/Prayer
RE: The Philosophy of Salah/Daily Connection/Prayer
(April 10, 2015 at 6:31 am)MysticKnight Wrote: However you didn't address the Euthyphro dilemma! This is the point I bring upon virtue. I think you need to address it.

Actually, you rather miss the point of Euthyphro. 
It is a dilemma precisely because it is undecidable.  The conclusion is that we have to determine what is good on our own.

Quote:But that premise is based on a conclusion, if follows if you agree with the premises before.

1. Goodness to be objective, cannot be arbitrary.

2. Objective Goodness exists (assumption).
3. If a Creator can decide/create what is goodness, then goodness would be arbitrary. (For example, if it can decide rape is good, then it would be arbitrary)
4. Therefore a Creator cannot create objective goodness.
5. If a Creator cannot create objective goodness, then nothing can, including evolution, as a Creator can create evolution, and anything that would be able to create morality.
6. Therefore objective goodness is eternal.
7. Goodness is not separate from consciousness.
8. Therefore consciousness is eternal.
9. Ultimate goodness is included in definition of objective goodness.
10. Therefore Ultimate goodness exists eternally.

6 follows from 5 and 2. 5 from follows from 4. 4 follows from from 3. 3 from follows from 1. 2 doesn't follow from anything and was your original objection. But if you accept both 2 and 1, it seems 6 follows. Therefore you have state why either 6 doesn't follow from the argument or state which premise you think is additionally wrong and doesn't follow from 1 and 2. Or is it 1 now that you dispute?
  • 8 does not follow from anything.
  • "Ultimate goodness' is undefined.
  • Ideas, judgments, concepts exist only in minds
  • No ideas can precede existence.
Your argument fails - you are overreaching.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Philosophy of Salah/Daily Connection/Prayer - by Chas - April 10, 2015 at 8:28 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to pray based on the Quran alone: prayer in Islam as I understand it WinterHold 69 14564 December 21, 2019 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Du'a Nudba (The prayer of sadness) Mystic 13 1909 October 7, 2018 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  A poem of Salah I wrote back some years ago: Mystic 3 2578 April 4, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  What is the islamic philosophy regarding toys? Ciel_Rouge 8 5145 October 28, 2012 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Kane