Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to pray based on the Quran alone: prayer in Islam as I understand it
How to pray based on the Quran alone: prayer in Islam as I understand it
In this topic, I want to put my understanding for prayers, how to do them and what made me conclude that this is the way to do it.
-------------------------------
1- My personal understanding:

Prayer is a way of direct connection with God in Islam.
God never needs it; but we do, releasing negative emotions and providing somebody to talk to.

How to pray:

A-Perform ablution:

Quote:Sura 5, The Quran:
http://quran.ksu.edu.sa/index.php?l=en#aya=5_6

( 6 )   O you who have believed, when you rise to [perform] prayer, wash your faces and your forearms to the elbows and wipe over your heads and wash your feet to the ankles. And if you are in a state of janabah, then purify yourselves. But if you are ill or on a journey or one of you comes from the place of relieving himself or you have contacted women and do not find water, then seek clean earth and wipe over your faces and hands with it. Allah does not intend to make difficulty for you, but He intends to purify you and complete His favor upon you that you may be grateful.

B-Rise (stand) as Sura 5 Verse 6 said.

C-recite verses from the Quran, and call God with anything you want.

D- Bow, since bowing is also mentioned in another verse:

Quote:Sura 22, The Quran:
http://quran.ksu.edu.sa/index.php?l=en#aya=22_77

( 77 )   O you who have believed, bow and prostrate and worship your Lord and do good - that you may succeed.

E-prostrate as Sura 22 verse 77 said, and also like Sura 4 verse 102 said here:

Quote:Sura 4, The Quran:
http://quran.ksu.edu.sa/index.php?l=en#aya=4_102

( 102 )   And when you are among them and lead them in prayer, let a group of them stand [in prayer] with you and let them carry their arms. And when they have prostrated, let them be [in position] behind you and have the other group come forward which has not [yet] prayed and let them pray with you, taking precaution and carrying their arms. Those who disbelieve wish that you would neglect your weapons and your baggage so they could come down upon you in one [single] attack. But there is no blame upon you, if you are troubled by rain or are ill, for putting down your arms, but take precaution. Indeed, Allah has prepared for the disbelievers a humiliating punishment.

F-Repeat

Case closed. All the above is in the Quran.
You should also pay attention to the 3 long times of the day and night which prayers must take place in (they are also in the Quran):
1-Dawn to noon (Fajr Prayer)
Quote:Sura 11, The Quran:
( 114 )   And establish prayer at the two ends of the day and at the approach of the night. Indeed, good deeds do away with misdeeds. That is a reminder for those who remember.

2-Noon to night ( Doher Prayer)

Quote:Sura 17, The Quran:
http://quran.ksu.edu.sa/index.php?l=en#aya=17_78
( 78 )   Establish prayer at the decline of the sun [from its meridian] until the darkness of the night and [also] the Qur'an of dawn. Indeed, the recitation of dawn is ever witnessed.

3-Night to Dawn (Eshaa Prayer) -Sura 11, verse 114 which I mentioned-.

Cycle repeats.
RE: How to pray based on the Quran alone: prayer in Islam as I understand it
(December 16, 2019 at 6:26 pm)AtlasS33 Wrote: In this topic, I want to put my understanding for prayers, how to do them and what made me conclude that this is the way to do it.

God never needs it; but we do, releasing negative emotions and providing somebody to talk to.

How to pray:

A-Perform ablution:

( 6 )   O you who have believed, when you rise to [perform] prayer, wash your faces and your forearms to the elbows and wipe over your heads and wash your feet to the ankles. And if you are in a state of janabah, then purify yourselves. But if you are ill or on a journey or one of you comes from the place of relieving himself or you have contacted women and do not find water, then seek clean earth and wipe over your faces and hands with it. Allah does not intend to make difficulty for you, but He intends to purify you and complete His favor upon you that you may be grateful.

( 77 )   O you who have believed, bow and prostrate and worship your Lord and do good - that you may succeed.

( 102 )   And when you are among them and lead them in prayer, let a group of them stand [in prayer] with you and let them carry their arms. And when they have prostrated, let them be [in position] behind you and have the other group come forward which has not [yet] prayed and let them pray with you, taking precaution and carrying their arms. Those who disbelieve wish that you would neglect your weapons and your baggage so they could come down upon you in one [single] attack. But there is no blame upon you, if you are troubled by rain or are ill, for putting down your arms, but take precaution. Indeed, Allah has prepared for the disbelievers a humiliating punishment.

F-Repeat

You should also pay attention to the 3 long times of the day and night which prayers must take place in (they are also in the Quran):
( 114 )   And establish prayer at the two ends of the day and at the approach of the night. Indeed, good deeds do away with misdeeds. That is a reminder for those who remember.

( 78 )   Establish prayer at the decline of the sun [from its meridian] until the darkness of the night and [also] the Qur'an of dawn. Indeed, the recitation of dawn is ever witnessed.

Cycle repeats.

Why would you post this here?  Are you under the misapprehension that we're atheists because we've been praying wrong?  I'll give you a hint - that ain't it.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Wash your hands and pray twice a day then, yes?

(he posted this because he's a masochist)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I post here because I have no where else to go.

1 thing I know: athiests might have lots of trolls, but they rejected the lies of the religious institution, so that's a point in their score in my radar.

Another thing: I was asked by an athiest -Rhythm- to post how I pray, so...I posted.
-and now that I've heard it, I've decided not to pray to either of your shit gods any number of times a day.

Gratz, I chose, you cretin.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 16, 2019 at 6:38 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Wash your hands and pray twice a day then, yes?

(he posted this because he's a masochist)

3 times; not 2. Pray in them as much as you like, but make sure to finish the day with 3 prayers at least.

(December 16, 2019 at 6:40 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: -and now that I've heard it, I've decided not to pray to either of your shit gods any number of times a day.

Gratz, I chose, you cretin.

As you like, there is no compulsion in Islam.
(December 16, 2019 at 6:26 pm)AtlasS33 Wrote: In this topic, I want to put my understanding for prayers, how to do them and what made me conclude that this is the way to do it.

How to pray:

A-Perform ablution:

F-Repeat

Cycle repeats.

The first verse refers to ablution, which is not what the title of the thread implies. The verse in Sura 4 is prayer as done in war time, not on a day to day basis.

No scholar in the world nor Sunni nor shia instructs three prayers a day, you are completely alone in your understanding.

Let's suppose you're right about the number of prayers , what are the steps to follow in one prayer, what body movements do we do specifically to call them prayer according to the Qur'an?
(December 16, 2019 at 6:45 pm)Klorophyll Wrote:

How to pray:

A-Perform ablution:

F-Repeat

Cycle repeats.

The first verse refers to ablution, which is not what the title of the thread implies. The verse in Sura 4 is prayer as done in war time, not on a day to day basis.

No scholar in the world nor Sunni nor shia instructs three prayers a day, you are completely alone in your understanding.

Let's suppose you're right about the number of prayers , what are the steps to follow in one prayer, what body movements do we do specifically to call them prayer according to the Qur'an?

No. Your Hadith told you it's just in war time; the special condition that Muslims have the right to carry arms during the prayer, that's what the verse said.

I don't care about the scholars of the Sunni/Shiite church; read what my religion tag says.

About body moves, join a dance course.
Guys, guys - there has GOT to be a site somewhere in the vastness of the internet for Muslims to hash these things out.  Not saying that you've got no right to be here, but come on - do you really think an atheist message board is the place to have a slugfest over the finer points of Islamic doctrine?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 16, 2019 at 6:50 pm)AtlasS33 Wrote: About body moves, join a dance course.

That's what I was looking for, thanks for the confession and the groundbreaking insight. 

You actually pray by dancing.   Hehe

(To non Muslims reading the topic, he admitted explicitely that he doesn't know how to move during prayer because it's nowhere mentioned in the Qur'an, and thus his claim in the title evaporates into thin air)

(December 16, 2019 at 6:52 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Guys, guys - there has GOT to be a site somewhere in the vastness of the internet for Muslims to hash these things out.  Not saying that you've got no right to be here, but come on - do you really think an atheist message board is the place to have a slugfest over the finer points of Islamic doctrine?

Boru

This is no fine point pal, this is what 2 damn billion Muslims do five times a day, and he doesn't agree with them.

He prays by dancing actually. Hehe

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the Quran support Theocracy? Leonardo17 16 623 Yesterday at 11:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  New Controversies around the Desecration of the Quran Leonardo17 100 8177 August 20, 2023 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Quran and Hadiths annatar 34 20449 October 11, 2022 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  "Nas" is probably my favorite arabic word in the Quran Woah0 22 1211 August 22, 2022 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  [Quranic reflection]: The Big Bang theory in the Quran. WinterHold 62 4195 June 14, 2022 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How I'd Reveal the Quran To Humanity ReptilianPeon 23 2825 May 11, 2022 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Cavalry
  2-big bang theory in the Quran mo3taz3nbar 108 48611 April 3, 2022 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Quranic Reflection]: Quran vs Hadith- why the Hadith is false WinterHold 176 11487 January 15, 2022 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Quranic Reflection]: On reading the Quran.. WinterHold 1 851 July 24, 2021 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Quranic Reflection]: moon absorbed by the sun in the Quran: far future. WinterHold 253 13819 December 18, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: polymath257