Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 5, 2024, 4:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
christians, who needs them?
RE: christians, who needs them?
It depends how strong someone's "faith" is but I think if someone's faith is strong enough - basically nothing will move them from it.

If their faith is weaker - it can be moved by logic and reason. And I think there are degrees - some it doesn't take much and they just believed and had faith because they didn't realize the alternative. And others it takes a lot more.

And as I said - some cannot be moved I think. But its hard to really KNOW until they've met with reason enough times and their beliefs have been tested.

The problem often comes with those who are not willing to even LISTEN to reason. That often makes it very very hard (or impossible) for a 'person of faith' to be moved.

Although sometimes the only reason someone sticks with their faith is simply because they have been blocking themselves of and not been listening I think - like I said, not realizing the alternative - and if enough reason slips in through the gate; they actually lose their faith.

I agree that of course religious beliefs are completely absurd. Very unparsimonious and implausible indeed. God and miracles defy the laws of the universe for Celestial Teapot's sake!

I find it interesting that - if I am not mistaken - I read on these forums on a thread you created about your story as a past Christian and how you lost your faith; that once you begun to read the bible more you lost a lot more (or all) of your faith? If I remember correctly and I'm not mistaken?

On Penn and Teller's Bullshit Penn said that the best way to become an atheist is to read the bible.

I think the bible either makes you lose your faith - more or entirely - or strengthen it if you already believed what you were told by other believers - or find your faith.

I think it can go all ways because it depends how you interpret it.

And I think providing you haven't been brought up to believe as a child its usually, at least, a lot easier to recognize the circular reasoning.

The whole believing in God because the bible says God exists and is God - and you believe the bible because its Gods book. All that circular mumbo jumbo reasoning.

Although its possible to find faith even if you weren't brought up to believe as a child. But a lot harder and a lot more uncommon I, at least, think.

Evf

Messages In This Thread
christians, who needs them? - by bozo - January 27, 2009 at 4:00 pm
RE: christians, who needs them? - by LukeMC - January 27, 2009 at 5:04 pm
RE: christians, who needs them? - by Edwardo Piet - January 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm
RE: christians, who needs them? - by chatpilot - January 27, 2009 at 11:46 pm
RE: christians, who needs them? - by Edwardo Piet - January 28, 2009 at 12:10 am
RE: christians, who needs them? - by chatpilot - January 28, 2009 at 1:25 am
RE: christians, who needs them? - by Sam - January 28, 2009 at 9:55 am
RE: christians, who needs them? - by chatpilot - January 28, 2009 at 6:23 pm
RE: christians, who needs them? - by Rockthatpiano06 - February 7, 2009 at 4:53 pm
RE: christians, who needs them? - by chatpilot - February 7, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lock Them Up! Lock Them Up!! Minimalist 7 1297 October 27, 2018 at 9:19 am
Last Post: brewer
  Near death experiences are not biblical and the bible itself debunks them (Proof) LetThereBeNoGod 0 1148 February 16, 2017 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod
  Oasis Networks- what do you think of them? Casca 3 1638 January 1, 2017 at 2:05 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  My siblings are agnostic, should I try discussing atheism with them? CindyBaker 17 3770 April 18, 2016 at 9:27 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  This Judge Needs To Be Impeached Minimalist 15 2992 April 14, 2016 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Do humans always accept proofs when presented to them? Mystic 59 13155 January 2, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  One of Jehovah's Witnesses needs your help Won2blv 46 7643 May 1, 2015 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Chas
  Atheism Kills Off the Ambition of the Lower Classes and Makes them Anti-Social Blackrook 59 29178 July 9, 2014 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: Amalynne0
  God has emotional needs tor 5 1197 March 20, 2014 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Ethiopian Village has no religion and prospers - The neighbours hate them The Valkyrie 7 3412 December 14, 2013 at 4:16 am
Last Post: Esquilax