Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My siblings are agnostic, should I try discussing atheism with them?
My siblings are agnostic, should I try discussing atheism with them?
Or just leave it alone? My brother won't admit anything but he says the same things I've heard atheists say and whenever I ask him if he's an atheist, he uses vague phrases like "well, you know" and "am I?". My sister started becoming a hardcore christian, but then she finally read the bible. She slowly started noticing things and then just said she didn't believe in jesus. But then yesterday she told me that she doesn't know or care what's out there and that's she's definitely not with any religion or god (yay!). So my question is, should I try talking to them or leave well enough alone?
RE: My siblings are agnostic, should I try discussing atheism with them?
I mean, sure. As long as it's a discussion and not something pushy or proselytizing. Nothing wrong with telling your family why you are an Atheist. I discuss being an Atheist with the Christians in my family so reaching out to Agnostics doesn't seem like much of a stretch.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Some people are simply more comfortable with one word over another.  As long as they aren't annoying the shit out of you about 'jesus ' or 'allah'....or even Zeus, accept it for what it is.

Of course, when they say something like they are definitely not with any religion just say "that's why I am an atheist."

Let them come around on their own terms.  The battle is 3/4 won.  You don't have to ride down the fleeing survivors and hack at them with your saber.
I'd say it's fine to talk about your own beliefs (or lack of), as long as they are comfortable discussing them. I would recommend against trying to convince them to change their position, that thing never tends to work if it hasn't partly come from them. You could always let them know you're there for them, if they want to discuss these things.

If they "aren't sure", then they are atheists, by definition. Whether or not they are comfortable with that label is another matter. People who say they are "just agnostic" are atheists, by the common correct usage. But trying to make people use labels they aren't happy with is rather pointless.

My website might help clear things up further, and I did a video about recently, if they are any help to you or your siblings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d34BmGnrUEI
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
If they bring it up then discuss. If not, leave it alone.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
It's probably worth discussing with them.

You might want to approach it by first defining the terms "atheist" and "agnostic" with them.

If you explain the formal definition of the words, instead of the colloquial definitions, it might get them to accept that they are already atheists.

You could also show them this:

[Image: agnostic.jpg]

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(April 8, 2016 at 12:26 pm)CindyBaker Wrote: Or just leave it alone? My brother won't admit anything but he says the same things I've heard atheists say and whenever I ask him if he's an atheist, he uses vague phrases like "well, you know" and "am I?". My sister started becoming a hardcore christian, but then she finally read the bible. She slowly started noticing things and then just said she didn't believe in jesus. But then yesterday she told me that she doesn't know or care what's out there and that's she's definitely not with any religion or god (yay!). So my question is, should I try talking to them or leave well enough alone?
It's hard to discuss anything with people who are not willing to be wrong. If you try to convince someone that they're wrong about their understanding of the world, they'll probably try to shut you down, give you a lot of questions that are logical fallacies, etc. Unfortunately, people have to be willing to open their minds and be wrong and learn. That's what I like to think of as having a scientific mind. Science is self scrutinizing and changes it's ideas to suite the evidence it finds. If someone does not have this state of mind, there's nothing you can do to persuade them. People who are truly "believers" will not try to defend their faith logically, they know they can't win, which is why they're religious.
Why try to push a rolling stone?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'll just wait for one of them to bring up the subject. I don't want to come off too pushy or anything.

@ Minimalist - I can definitely understand that. Before I was comfortable using the word atheist, I just said that I had "different beliefs". It took a while for atheist to stick.
Yup.   This

[Image: cavalry-charge-german-riots-in-leipzig-1...b0k7r7.jpg]
would be overkill.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lock Them Up! Lock Them Up!! Minimalist 7 1251 October 27, 2018 at 9:19 am
Last Post: brewer
  Question from an agnostic chrisNub 41 9368 March 30, 2018 at 7:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27115 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  My brother who used to be a devout Muslim is now agnostic Lebneni Murtad 4 1390 March 21, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Near death experiences are not biblical and the bible itself debunks them (Proof) LetThereBeNoGod 0 1135 February 16, 2017 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod
  Oasis Networks- what do you think of them? Casca 3 1608 January 1, 2017 at 2:05 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 5899 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic... LivingNumbers6.626 15 3025 July 6, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Everyone is Agnostic z7z 16 3387 June 26, 2016 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist? AgnosticMan123 160 25405 June 6, 2016 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Adam Blackstar