Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 10:54 pm

Poll: Should atheists be grateful to the pope for his willingness to redeem us?
This poll is closed.
Yes
0%
0 0%
No
74.19%
23 74.19%
Maybe
0%
0 0%
No opinion
3.23%
1 3.23%
Fuck all polls
22.58%
7 22.58%
Total 31 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us..." should we be grateful?
RE: "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us..." should we be grateful?
(July 20, 2015 at 11:31 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(July 20, 2015 at 1:07 am)Whateverist the White Wrote: I guess the biggest stumbling block in giving you what you're asking, Cath-y, is that this is precisely where most of us go to vent about religion.  Any place else and I'm not in to it.  If people enjoyed mocking religion before you arrived, and who among us has not laughed at Bill Maher doing just that, you can't expect them to stop now that you're here, right?  

It is one thing to do something because you want to hurt someone versus wanting to do a thing and realizing that might happen.  In RL I don't make too many sacrifices for other people's feelings.  If we disagree or what they want and I want is incompatible, I don't think I owe it to anyone to sacrifice what I want.

I'm not talking about HERE, whateverist. And I'm not even talking about me specifically. I never said anything about people making fun of religion here.

I'm talking about in real life, to the face of a real life friend. And this conversation all started when Rhythm asked me about a religious friend of his. 

This is the problem with these online discussions. People don't read the conversations thoroughly and then start assuming I'm saying things I'm not actually saying lol. It's very frustrating.

Okay that is different.  But I thought your disappointment about Rob kudos'ing Vic or Kusa's post was actually about what happens here.

You know the original reason for the thread is one thing.  But the reason I asked you if it offended you probably was motivated more by trying to understand how well you are separating what people think about religion from what they think about you.  I doubt if any of us has a religious relative we wouldn't trade for you in a heartbeat.  You are like the ideal religious person to interact with.

But .. sometimes you come off a little bit like Ms Manners.  Does anyone else tell you that?  Thinking and talking about what one does or should do if one cares about a person makes sense when people subscribe to the same objective moral foundation.  But that is kind of in question here.  While I like you a lot I have to say, I don't often think or talk about how people should behave.  

Oh sure, I'm quick to call out the assholes when I'm driving but then there is a (supposedly) shared foundation for expectations provided by the vehicle code.  But by and large I just don't spend much time thinking about how I and others should act.  I like to be spontaneous morally.  

Exploring the differences for me is fun but I don't want to go beyond what is fun for you.  Do we need a safe word?

Messages In This Thread
RE: "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us..." should we be grateful? - by Whateverist - July 20, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus as Lord - why is this appealing to so many? KevinM1 307 32604 February 14, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Brazilian woman has spent years praying to Lord of the Rings doll Cyberman 41 5861 January 8, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Love the Lord your God with all your heart ? Angrboda 144 24141 June 20, 2016 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  "For the lord thy god is a jealous god among you." Socratic Meth Head 52 9260 June 8, 2016 at 10:10 am
Last Post: RozKek
  Reach a lost and dying world for the Lord Jesus Christ.. TubbyTubby 30 6868 March 16, 2015 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Pastor: Sometimes you have to punch kids for the lord. Faith No More 63 20049 January 12, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Billion + believe in Satan. Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism? Greatest I am 20 5145 December 2, 2014 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  "I prayed to the Lord and God said ‘Open up a pot shop'" null--69 5 2317 February 27, 2014 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  Proof of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ Almighty FlyingNarwhal 2 2016 June 15, 2013 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: max-greece
  Lord Carey attacks PM over Christian 'support' Darwinian 6 2926 March 30, 2013 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist