Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 1:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lack of "Connection" to something higher - is this holding atheism back?
Lack of "Connection" to something higher - is this holding atheism back?
Hey all,
Like most atheists, I would love for people to stop believing in the unfounded and superstitious beliefs of religion. However, debating people and propagating the irrationality of religion obviously isn't enough- to quote Dr. House, "if you could reason with religious people there would be no religious people." The reason people stick with religion is because it fulfills an emotional need So, why haven't we created a secular alternative to religion which fulfills those needs?

Most people desire a sense of purpose, community, and "connection" to something higher than themselves. Religion conveniently provides all of those things in one package, which is why people will join them. I mean, why do kids of secularists become religious? Instilling free thinking isn't enough for some people.

Since atheism is simply the lack of belief in God/Gods, we shouldn't try to make something like an "atheist church" - the term atheism shouldn't become associated with an institution or dogma. Yet at the same time feel-good "believe whatever you want" secular-type alternatives for atheists like the Unitarian Universalist church are unappealing because they lack conviction and a unified purpose.

So, basically, I'm wondering if there are secular organizations that people could join which could fulfill the emotional needs many people have that keeps them stuck in religion. If not, why do you think we haven't created such an alternative to religion?

I'm trying to refine my thoughts on this issue, so any constructive critiques you have on possible holes in my thinking is definitely welcome.

Messages In This Thread
Lack of "Connection" to something higher - is this holding atheism back? - by Hypatia - February 25, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is PeTA atheist or something of a humanist? BananaFlambe 11 787 December 4, 2023 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3039 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5307 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22425 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The connection of atheism and isis macgyver151 43 9426 December 11, 2017 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Discipline/lack of and atheism Azu 189 55281 June 19, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27336 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Even in darkest times here is something that made me smile dyresand 3 1953 May 17, 2017 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why there is something rather than nothing... Jehanne 43 7856 August 28, 2016 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Your lack of imagination is your defeat Little Rik 357 45504 July 27, 2016 at 8:50 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet