Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discipline/lack of and atheism
Discipline/lack of and atheism
I need someone to break stereotypes that atheists are far from disciplined due to their 'lack of faith but also fear in God' as an agent in governing individual discipline. Theists have often argued that atheists are corrupt, drug too much, do not keep their house tidy, do not eat proper food, party too much, have sex with multiple partners/commit to adultery whilst married with kids and slacken off excessively.

I would like to hear about atheists and how they do with self-discipline, self-regulation and responsibility as well as atheist parents who regulate discipline on their kids.

Regardless of the definition of atheism, I'd like to hear from you atheists as humans examples of discipline you do develop and regulate in yourselves (and if parents, on your children).

I am an atheist of moderate to at times rigorous discipline but I won't tell - I'd like to hear a substantial amount of examples from you before I may tell mine. I'm just sick of being ostracised, ridiculed and laughed at by many atheists for being 'too weird, religious and stuff' when I exhibit rigorous self-discipline and regulation and instead being told to 'loosen up' too frequently.
RE: Discipline/lack of and atheism
(June 11, 2017 at 7:08 am)Adventurer Wrote: I need someone to break stereotypes that atheists are far from disciplined due to their 'lack of faith but also fear in God' as an agent in governing individual discipline. Theists have often argued that atheists are corrupt, drug too much, do not keep their house tidy, do not eat proper food, party too much, have sex with multiple partners/commit to adultery whilst married with kids and slacken off excessively.

I would like to hear about atheists and how they do with self-discipline, self-regulation and responsibility as well as atheist parents who regulate discipline on their kids.

Regardless of the definition of atheism, I'd like to hear from you atheists as humans examples of discipline you do develop and regulate in yourselves (and if parents, on your children).

I am an atheist of moderate to at times rigorous discipline but I won't tell - I'd like to hear a substantial amount of examples from you before I may tell mine. I'm just sick of being ostracised, ridiculed and laughed at by many atheists for being 'too weird, religious and stuff' when I exhibit rigorous self-discipline and regulation and instead being told to 'loosen up' too frequently.

bold mine

But we can be any of those things, so can christians. My guess is that there are more christians that fit those descriptions than atheists. There lies the hypocrisy. 

Here is the deal, you get to be as weird as you want. As loose as you want. As disciplined as you want. That has nothing to do with a belief that god does not exist. 

As far as being accepted by your social circle, you'll need to find a balance between your desire for acceptance and your need for discipline.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
mh.brewer,

Regardless of atheism which is defined as rejection of god and nothing else, I'm only interested to hear from you atheists simply as humans what might be any of your examples in regulating discipline in yourselves and on your kids (if you're parents).
Not even sure what the point of this question is ?
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(June 11, 2017 at 7:37 am)Tizheruk Wrote: Not even sure what the point of this question is ?

The point of the question is twofold. One is to know the diversity of examples from you atheists, simply as humans (regardless of atheism, which is defined as rejection of god) in how you do with self-discipline. Second is to end theistic stigmatisations aimed at atheists but also defend and maintain human dignity amongst atheists.
The law?

The idea that doing unto others as one would would have done unto oneself is not a religious idea but a human one?

I guess the simple philosophy of don't be a dick applies. If someone's a dick to me, either I ignore it or confront it, but it depends on the situation I guess.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I don't think I'm your guy. 3 marriages-2 divorces, multiple monogamist relationships in between, IV opiate use that cost one career, ETOH addiction that went out of control at the end of a second career. Yet made it through grad school and retired at 54. 

The extent of my discipline is that I try to do the right thing, by me and as I see it, and then do the next right thing again. Most of the time I get it, but as you can see, sometimes I don't.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Only in a place full of religious bigots who love to pat themselves on the back for being so jesus, can such an utterly idiotic notion even survive. There's no need to refute it, anyone who believes it is an idiot.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(June 11, 2017 at 7:39 am)Adventurer Wrote:
(June 11, 2017 at 7:37 am)Tizheruk Wrote: Not even sure what the point of this question is ?

The point of the question is twofold. One is to know the diversity of examples from you atheists, simply as humans (regardless of atheism, which is defined as rejection of god) in how you do with self-discipline. Second is to end theistic stigmatisations aimed at atheists but also defend and maintain human dignity amongst atheists.

The first seems a odd it seems to assume that there should be some lack of discipline requiring some extra account and that dignity is some special quality  . For the second I could not care less . Let the dogs of theism bark a yowl in there self righteous bigotry at the moon. And let them learn that the moon looks back in utter indifference .

(June 11, 2017 at 7:53 am)mh.brewer Wrote: I don't think I'm your guy. 3 marriages-2 divorces, multiple monogamist relationships in between, IV opiate use that cost one career, ETOH addiction that went out of control at the end of a second career. Yet made it through grad school and retired at 54. 

The extent of my discipline is that I try to do the right thing, by me and as I see it, and then do the next right thing again. Most of the time I get it, but as you can see, sometimes I don't.

And really that's all any of us can do.
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(June 11, 2017 at 7:08 am)Adventurer Wrote: I need someone to break stereotypes that atheists are far from disciplined due to their 'lack of faith but also fear in God' as an agent in governing individual discipline. Theists have often argued that atheists are corrupt, drug too much, do not keep their house tidy, do not eat proper food, party too much, have sex with multiple partners/commit to adultery whilst married with kids and slacken off excessively.

Quote:Regardless of atheism which is defined as rejection of god and nothing else, I'm only interested to hear from you atheists simply as humans what might be any of your examples in regulating discipline in yourselves and on your kids (if you're parents).

Rejection of god? Sorry, I can't get past this and say "I knew what you meant". I reject the idea that there even is a god. 

I haven't done drugs. Some of my family have, and have almost died for it. I'm not ready to die. In fact, at times I get fearful of the process of dying. More often, though, I'm just fascinated by the fact that I can experience life with the senses. 

I am disorganized, and have struggled with such since I was a kid. Might be part of an LD. 

I don't eat "proper food". I loves me some carbs, and big portions of them. "Yay, food", as that beer commercial reminds me.

I don't like parties. I find them boring.

I'm a childless virgin. I don't date. So, no adultery. 

I'm an atheist, but I'm sure there are Christians who match the above, good, bad and otherwise. Only difference: they believe in God.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2717 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5175 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 21991 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27082 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Your lack of imagination is your defeat Little Rik 357 44832 July 27, 2016 at 8:50 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Is Lack of Belief the Best You Can Do? Neo-Scholastic 259 35991 April 3, 2016 at 10:56 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Something to shake the very foundation of your lack of faith yukapuka 306 37572 January 18, 2016 at 9:04 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Two Undeniable Truths Why Theism is True and Atheism and Agnosticism are Not True HiYou 49 12111 July 21, 2015 at 6:59 am
Last Post: KUSA
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12452 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Does complexity actually imply the lack of a creator? JaceDeanLove 14 4529 November 15, 2014 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Whateverist