Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alien Life (Intelligent Or Otherwise) In The Universe
Alien Life (Intelligent Or Otherwise) In The Universe
I split this from Ev's "Why 'Rational faith' Is An Oxymoron" because I thought I'd drifted too far off topic but that it made a good discussion topic anyway.

(May 24, 2009 at 3:25 pm)Samson Wrote: Another example would be UFO's...

Yes ... I would class that as a new age religion of sorts Smile

(May 24, 2009 at 4:08 pm)Samson Wrote: I do agree with that to some extent. So I guess the question for you would be; would someone believing that Alien life (Intelligent or non) exists being more of a logical reasoning? Mostly because of our "Current" technology in showing just how truly small we are in comparison to our solar surroundings. And especially with what we know about what life needs to be in place or survive.

I do believe there is life out there (I figure the universe is so big there has to be) and I also figure there is a chance of that life being intelligent but given that mankind might only last a million years (and I think that's optimistic if we carry on the way we are) and that evolution (an other world version of) will mean they are probably as selfish as we are and so might also only last a million years you get the problem of whether they will co-exist (time-wise) with us so the chance of us actually meeting anyone else seems staggering low to me.

My best guess is that if we ever go inter-stellar (and thus hopefully ensure our survival) we will find the remains of other intelligent life. In some ways, given the aggressive nature of evolved species, the other alternative strikes me as a bad thing ... unless they've out-evolved that aggression they would probably destroy or enslave us (though they might be a bit B5'ish and largely ignore us).

None of the above I claim as fact, just belief, more of a hope I suppose.

Sorry ... I love science fiction but you're right about the belief in little green men.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator

Messages In This Thread
Alien Life (Intelligent Or Otherwise) In The Universe - by Kyuuketsuki - May 25, 2009 at 3:59 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intelligent Design Is Pseudoscience: Creationist Lies About Evolution Debunked CodeDNA 7 1017 April 22, 2023 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: no one
  Life eating other life. Brian37 42 2236 May 14, 2021 at 4:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why we might be alone in the Universe vulcanlogician 103 5903 May 12, 2019 at 7:24 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What would alien life look like? Mechaghostman2 55 3219 December 2, 2018 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  quality of life or life for life's sake tackattack 37 2295 November 24, 2018 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Blind evolution or intelligent design? ignoramus 12 1960 August 2, 2017 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Why Do Otherwise Intelligent People Succomb to Religion? Rhondazvous 47 8307 October 25, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Directionality in evolution without intelligent guidance tantric 25 5239 January 22, 2015 at 6:19 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Intelligent Design: Irreducible Complexity? OfficerVajardian 49 12639 August 17, 2014 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  Intelligent Design triumph! Mudhammam 2 1274 July 17, 2014 at 7:05 am
Last Post: FreeTony