Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 9:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am atheist,but I do not like science.
RE: I am atheist,but I do not like science.
(July 8, 2012 at 4:43 am)FallentoReason Wrote: Ok, I think I get it now. You believe the past is practically non-existent. To this I say look at your watch for 5 minutes. You can then be absolutely confident that this memory of yourself looking at your watch wasn't some random memory implanted into you from who knows where, but that it was an historical truth that really did happen in the past.

No, because your memory of having looked at your watch for 5 minutes might itself only be an instant old. You're assuming that your memories are actually accurate. How do you know that?

(July 8, 2012 at 4:35 am)cato123 Wrote: Clive,

Hello, I'm Cato. With the evidence I have I can claim that I posted to this forum before you joined; therefore, I submit that my historic postings relative to you are real and did not poof into existence with the appearance of age at the time you chose to grace me/us with your presence at AF.

How do you know that you actually have that evidence? How do you know that your memories of that evidence are accurate? How do you know that you didn't come into existence three seconds ago with false memories?

Quote:To put it another way...
If you are sincere with your 'appearance of age' shit, you must adhere to the idea that your mother and grandmother were non-existents before your birth and only came into existence at the moment of your birth with the appearance of age.

No, I don't even have to think that I was born. That's just a memory I have, which is just a result of my brain being in a particular physiochemical state. How do you know that you and your brain didn't come into existence three seconds ago in your particular arrangement of physiochemical states?

Quote:At this point you can argue that nothing existed five minutes ago and we were all created (with common memory of what we call history) five minutes ago. Which is more likely? There was existence and history before us or we were all just created with appearance of age parading around as history?

How are you deciding those probabilities? Is it based on evidence? How do you know what evidence is? How do you that your understanding of the evidence is actually accurate?

It seems like not many people take time to actually question their assumptions.
“The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false.”

Messages In This Thread
I am atheist,but I do not like science. - by wolfypunk3 - July 4, 2012 at 12:25 am
RE: I am atheist,but I do not like science. - by Annik - July 4, 2012 at 10:53 am
RE: I am atheist,but I do not like science. - by Cato - July 8, 2012 at 4:35 am
RE: I am atheist,but I do not like science. - by CliveStaples - July 8, 2012 at 4:45 am
RE: I am atheist,but I do not like science. - by Cato - July 8, 2012 at 5:18 am
RE: I am atheist,but I do not like science. - by Cato - July 8, 2012 at 5:53 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's not that I don't like you but........ brewer 13 771 March 12, 2024 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  One of these things is not like the other ones Angrboda 1 405 December 6, 2021 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Not going to swear to it as of yet. but. Brian37 33 2499 June 19, 2020 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Not that I ever will again, but.... Brian37 40 2950 April 8, 2020 at 11:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Pranks you have pulled, but would not now. Brian37 19 1164 February 21, 2019 at 9:58 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  [NOT SERIOUS] But wondering.... Brian37 14 2173 January 26, 2019 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  No I did not find Mich McConnell but... Brian37 8 1412 June 20, 2018 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Is there any "atheist values" like "Christian values"? ErGingerbreadMandude 37 3015 January 7, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Songs That Sound Like They're From The 80's But Aren't Actually From The 80's Edwardo Piet 0 601 December 8, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Things you're supposed to like, but don't Alex K 191 26900 September 9, 2017 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Athene