Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there any "atheist values" like "Christian values"?
Is there any "atheist values" like "Christian values"?
One of the great things I feel like there is with Christianity is there are "Christian values", you absolutely have to align your values with these. Personally I think atheism can't have any values because it itself is a "lack of belief", so atheism by itself is simply the lack of something, even still it's still about perspective, a lack of something can still be seen as an addition of something else.

My question is, are there any atheistic values based on say science or reason? If yes, what are they? If no, suppose you could make certain values atheistic values then what would those be?
RE: Is there any "atheist values" like "Christian values"?
Atheists have values, their values just don't come from atheism.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
*sees a debate about objective/subjective morality coming down the pipe*

*Runs*
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Ta Deb.... Saved us all a lot of trouble...

That's why you're the best theist.... !

You have lots of common sense ... It's not rocket science really pooley...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
We just have basic human values, some of which have been rebranded by various religious groups as their own.
How long have you been a member here, pool? If you haven't figured this out by now, maybe you should consider working on that inability. That, or you're just shit-stirring.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I'm sure there is a lot of cross over between Christian values and values that a non Christian or atheist person would have. It's mostly basic human decency, which is pretty universal.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I still keep wondering what these alleged xtian values are that the US was founded on.

Other than kill the Indians and steal their land, I can't think of any.
(January 6, 2018 at 10:23 pm)pool the matey Wrote: One of the great things I feel like there is with Christianity is there are "Christian values", you absolutely have to align your values with these. Personally I think atheism can't have any values because it itself is a "lack of belief", so atheism by itself is simply the lack of something, even still it's still about perspective, a lack of something can still be seen as an addition of something else.

My question is, are there any atheistic values based on say science or reason? If yes, what are they? If no, suppose you could make certain values atheistic values then what would those be?

[Image: 2548cdd5e64d564ffe73b7b7531c8afc--adult-...-memes.jpg]

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 6, 2018 at 10:33 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: *sees a debate about objective/subjective morals coming down the pipe*

*Runs*

Definition of objective values as conceived by xtianity:  objective human values are those values which suit God for his own reasons.  That way xtians aren't just going around doing whatever suits them.  Instead they're doing whatever suits God.  (Actually very few sweat their transgressions - that's what forgiveness and grace are for.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going? Mechaghostman2 6 586 January 4, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  There's social distancing, and then there's SOCIAL DISTANCING!!!!! Gawdzilla Sama 8 776 March 24, 2020 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Any of you attend a Christian University/high school. What were your thoughts? Atomic Lava 19 2060 November 20, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  If you could look like any celebrity The Industrial Atheist 30 4729 April 23, 2018 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  What are your values? Catholic_Lady 92 6616 January 27, 2018 at 12:02 am
Last Post: Astreja
  Atheist and Christian Forums vulcanlogician 43 4667 January 4, 2018 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Why isn't there a fight against unhealthy food like is for drugs? NuclearEnergy 22 5347 May 25, 2017 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Isis
  Are there any attractive knees? brewer 57 7383 December 2, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Anybody Have a Copy frichard Robinson's An Atheists Values can Borrow or Buy? Rhondazvous 1 543 June 18, 2016 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  The impudent interference of the European's way of life and values rado84 27 4096 September 13, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: pocaracas