Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we own our own lives? A discussion on the morality of suicide and voluntary slavery.
Do we own our own lives? A discussion on the morality of suicide and voluntary slavery.
A few days ago I was having a discussion with a very religious friend of mine, and we found ourselves talking about the morality of suicide.

Personally I don't think that suicide is a morally deplorable act. I never had any serious suicidal thoughts, since I love life and its endless possibilities, but I can understand how a person could rationally come to the conclusion to end his life, and according to my opinion it should be within his or her rights to do so.

My friend accepted that his religious argument against suicide (i.e. "god is the real owner of your life") doesn't work if you don't believe in a god, but he brought up a really interesting argument based only on rationality alone.

He argued that if we reject slavery we claim that a human lives can't be owned or used as objects. According to my friend this means that you can't end your life because it doesn't belong to you (regardless of the existence of a god who owns it).

I countered his argument with the idea that every human being owns his own life. We reject slavery not because lives can't be owned, but because the lives of a person belongs to him and not to another person.

My friend replied that if I were right, we should approve voluntary slavery. If we own our lives, we should be able to sell them, like any other item that we own.

I didn't (and still don't) have a strong argument against this conclusion, but I don't really like the idea of voluntary slavery being morallly acceptable.

So I thought to bring these questions to the forums and to see what other people think of it. Is suicide morally acceptable? Do we own our own lives? And if we do, can we sell them to someone else?

Messages In This Thread
Do we own our own lives? A discussion on the morality of suicide and voluntary slavery. - by Kirbmarc - December 11, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 1907 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Voluntary Human Extinction Movement Jehanne 78 5532 January 17, 2023 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 10396 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 37710 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Pro Choice is Slavery? Jade-Green Stone 36 3454 November 15, 2018 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 17976 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1345 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread Whateverist 598 67531 June 12, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8325 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3565 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet