Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Islamic Religious Leaders call for Hanging of Atheist Bloggers in Bangladesh
Islamic Religious Leaders call for Hanging of Atheist Bloggers in Bangladesh
http://blogs.aljazeera.com/blog/asia/ban...t-bloggers

Quote:During the rally, a female reporter was attacked by protesters. She told local media outlets she was yelled at for being a woman at the men's protest and scolded her for not covering her hair while they beat her and chased her away. Other media reports said a female rubbish collector was also chased away.

http://rt.com/news/bangladesh-protest-mu...ogger-431/

Quote:As the protesters advanced they chanted: "God is great, hang the atheist bloggers!”

"I've come here to fight for Islam. We won't allow any bloggers to blaspheme our religion and our beloved Prophet Mohammed," Shahidul Islam, an imam at a mosque outside Dhaka who walked 20km, told AAP.

A few comments:

Thousands, possibly as many as 200,000, Islamists came out to protest. That's a lot of "extremists"; perhaps these sentiments are mainstream in Bangladesh.

Where are the "moderates" denouncing the calls for the murder of atheists?

Is there another religion where its members call for the wholesale murder of a group? Shoot children in the face for attending school? Throw acid in the face of "immodest" women?

Would constantly "blaspheming" Islam and the prophet eventually help the situation? My opinion is yes, but I haven't thought it out. I think sacred cows need to be slaughtered. Religion protects itself by erecting these free speech barriers. It would seem the best opposition would be to not be cowed into silence.

Messages In This Thread
Islamic Religious Leaders call for Hanging of Atheist Bloggers in Bangladesh - by JesusHChrist - April 9, 2013 at 11:01 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bangladesh considers death penalty for rapists. onlinebiker 30 3143 November 24, 2020 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Pakistan: a bill to ban child marriage shot down at 1st hurdle for being 'un-Islamic' Fake Messiah 8 1506 January 23, 2016 at 4:09 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Pointless arguments between atheist and religious physicists akalaniz 2 1438 March 1, 2015 at 10:18 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Public event in Melbourne: Average Atheists - call for speakers worldslaziestbusker 6 2744 June 7, 2013 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: worldslaziestbusker
  Atheist Goat Flees Crazed Religious Cult Minimalist 11 7151 January 13, 2012 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah
  have you seen this video? (an islamic preching in Palestine) Zenith 12 4971 April 7, 2011 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: Zenith