Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 11:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My girlfriend is a scientologist.... I'm not...
My girlfriend is a scientologist.... I'm not...
First of all, since this is my very first post please let me tell you how happy I am to have found this great "little" place and secondly if this post happens to be in the wrong section please let me know so I can check with an admin.

So here's my story,

I consider myself to be an atheist who happens to practice meditation (mostly for its health benefits, such as lowering blood pressure) and happens to agree with the Buddhist teachings about the importance of balance but I should say that I have never bought into the whole reincarnation and enlightenment thing.

Anyway this post is not about me, it's about my girlfriend.

We met a couple of years ago and we've been together ever since. Lately I've been thinking about proposing to her and I would have done so already if her religious views didn't get in the way.

You see, she's a Scientologist...

I have a rather liberal approach to religion, everyone is welcome to believe any kind of mythology that happens to suit them as long as they don't impose it on me and this has been the case for us as well.

If however I was to marry her and have children together I would never consider endoctrinating our children to ANYTHING other than independent scientific critical thinking and let them make their own choices upon adulthood.

So my question to you is how do I get her to at least evaluate this point of view when ALL she has known for her entire life was stupidology... I guess I should mention that unfortunately for her she was, as they say, born into this.

Would anyone be able to offer me some kind of Scientology specific line of argument that could help me make my point?

I know it's impossible to persuade someone who is not willing to listen but this is not exactly the case with her, she is open to discussion except every time I manage to make a valid argument I always end up hitting a wall of "I don't know what you say all I know is that it works for me and that's all the proof I need".

Any thoughts?

I hate to think that I might have wasted the last two years of my life on her and all things considered we do get along very well with each other so I'm not willing to give up without a fight and there is absolutely no chance I'm going to allow me children to be corrupted by any kind of irrational mythological nonsense.

Thank you for taking the time to read through all this, please excuse any grammar or spelling mistakes I might have made, English is not my first language and please rest assured that ANY help with this would be MOST appreciated and welcome.

Messages In This Thread
My girlfriend is a scientologist.... I'm not... - by Giorgos.vr - December 14, 2014 at 12:55 pm
RE: My girlfriend is a scientologist.... I'm not... - by Cato - December 14, 2014 at 1:40 pm
RE: My girlfriend is a scientologist.... I'm not... - by Chas - December 14, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible girlfriend?? Manowar 30 4878 July 26, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Should I tell my girlfriend that I'm an atheist? erealmz 45 9233 November 19, 2017 at 9:07 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  My girlfriend got discriminated by some of her family MJ the Skeptical 27 4981 June 7, 2014 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  YEC Girlfriend FreeAndEasy 12 3026 November 24, 2013 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: Cinjin
  My angel girlfriend video! leodeo 7 2169 November 2, 2013 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  My girlfriend wants our kids introduced to "all major world religions" Engel 38 23048 May 9, 2012 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: AthiestAtheist
  Girlfriend's mom wont accept my atheism - what should we do? CatMeUp 18 9289 February 1, 2012 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  Help with a Christian girlfriend Danvelope223 74 25105 January 18, 2012 at 5:59 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Atheism and my girlfriend SilenceTheOppressors 20 9845 February 6, 2009 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: chatpilot