Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nothing annoys me quite like linux and using OSS tools
RE: Nothing annoys me quite like linux and using OSS tools
(January 21, 2015 at 7:17 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: So, I'm frustrated. In Windows land, programming software updates come with new versions of Visual Studio and the in-place service pack updates. There's up front cost (although, with the new Community Editions of VS, that's no longer going to be true), but installation and updates is mindless. It just works. And I struggle to think of why that can't be the case with linux

One of the bolded things has a great deal to do with the other.

(January 21, 2015 at 7:17 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: even accounting for differences in distros.

I'm also amazed that the software vendors themselves - Apache, PHP, etc. - don't have their own official repos one can point their package manager to. I mean, I'd love to simply point at something like PHP-5.6-Debian and have it always give me the latest stable release.

Do you have any idea how many Linux distros there are, not to mention how many versions of each (which, when dealing with system tools, very frequently matters a great deal).

(January 21, 2015 at 7:17 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: I dunno... linux has always felt unnecessarily fiddly and complex to me. It's too simple to screw things up, and things that are messed up don't give much in the way of descriptive language explaining why. I hate having to deal with configuration issues regularly.

I hear you, particularly on the lack of documentation for many open source projects. A couple of points though, from someone who works with this shit for a living: choose open source tech wisely. Look at the quality of the documentation before you choose a software component.

There's also a very good reason why distro system tools lag behind the bleeding edge: because integration testing takes resources. You can always roll your own from source, or go to third-party repositories, but in the either case, if you break it, you own both parts, and that's about it. If you care about stability and uptime, leverage the distro maintainer's testing process.

There are tradeoffs, yes. You can't have your cake (integrate a stable OS with bleeding edge parts) and eat it too (expect stability).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nothing annoys me quite like linux and using OSS tools - by Jackalope - January 21, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linux in ten years wish list. highdimensionman 2 348 February 23, 2022 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Using BabelJS FlatAssembler 11 847 May 14, 2021 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Reformatting tools for JavaScript FlatAssembler 0 366 June 14, 2020 at 10:13 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Using drones to watch on crime? Fake Messiah 32 2601 September 17, 2019 at 8:32 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Using SSDs for dual boot systems emjay 9 1459 November 8, 2016 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: emjay
  What OS are you using? account_inactive 89 7243 September 26, 2016 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Linux users? Are there any here? Lemonvariable72 31 4423 September 18, 2015 at 8:33 am
Last Post: ironicprogrammer
  Steam on Linux/Optimus on Linux Autumnlicious 12 3470 June 22, 2013 at 3:53 am
Last Post: Big Blue Sky
  OS Battle: which is the best? (OS X, Windows, Linux ...) Meylis Delano Lawrence 38 9831 May 1, 2013 at 8:07 am
Last Post: Love
  Linux woes Darwinian 29 5414 April 17, 2013 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Angrboda