Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux woes
Linux woes
I've just installed Linux Mint on my work p.c. and seem to be getting on quite nicely with it.

However, the usb printer I have connected (Epson SX445W) isn't working. So, question is, how do I install this printer onto Linux. I've been to 'Add Printer' and then I'm stumped.

A step by step tutorial would really help Smile
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Linux woes
Don't worry, I've done it..
If I managed to install a network printer in fedora, you only had to manage to install a usb printer en mint...

If you want to talk about linux woes.... try Gnome3, instead of cinnamon (mint, usually comes with cinnamon, that's why I'm guessing this is what you're using).
Gnome3 (3.6) was working quite well, for me... after installing some 20 extensions to get it to behave properly, but, for some reason, the notifications (those things that pop-up when someone writes a chat message) were coming up some 20 minutes after the event.... baffled, I simply went on to other window managers.
xfce - too minimal for me.
fluxbox - minimal as well
windowMaker - very oldSkool

And, finally, yes, I landed on cinnamon. It's clearly built on top of gnome, but it works!

Now, for some reason that's beyond me, I can't get RealVNC desktop :1 to start with a windows manager... unless it's GNOME, the default! When I configure the ~/.vnc/xstartup file with some other, like cinnamon, it says there's some other already running, but once I log in, all I see the X mouse cursor and the wiggly lines, so typical of X11, there's no way to run a program there, so it's useless.
If I start a vnc desktop with the default settings (chmod -x ~/.vnc/xstartup) it works, but sometimes fails with an error complaining about the extensions. I then change the xstartup (chmod +x ./vnc/xstartup) and force vncserver to start on :0 or :3, and it works perfectly. I now have a vnc session with gnome and another with fluxbox.
Oh the woe....
Using Mint 14 with the MATE desktop, works fine for me, no problems at all
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

On a separate topic, how is linux with security. i.e. Do I need a third party firewall and anti-virus suite such as Norton etc. that I would use with Windows?
I didn't like Cinnamon, it has a lot of bugs in it. I currently have Linux Mint Mate 64 bit and it is prety stable. I haven't had any problems so far.
The only problem is I couldn't find a good parental control software like Safe Eyes. If linux wants to thrive in college computer rooms, they should've made one by now.

(March 19, 2013 at 1:42 pm)Darwinian Wrote: On a separate topic, how is linux with security. i.e. Do I need a third party firewall and anti-virus suite such as Norton etc. that I would use with Windows?

No, you don't need anything like that. It's a lot safer than windows too. Most viruses are made for Windows and Mac. I always use it for server shit.
"Lighthouses are more helpful then churches."
Benjamin Franklin
(March 19, 2013 at 1:42 pm)Darwinian Wrote: On a separate topic, how is linux with security. i.e. Do I need a third party firewall and anti-virus suite such as Norton etc. that I would use with Windows?
Linux tends to be "secure by default" and already has an in-built firewall which many distros interface with. I'd recommend installing clamav as an anti-virus solution (free) anyway, since it will detect malicious Windows files as well.

Fuck. I need that hypervisor bit to run Win7 native on Xen.

*sigh*

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Yes, you do.

If your rocking the paravirtualization boat, you need AMDV or VTX.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Is this the talk in Klingon thread?

I used to know computers back when a 386 was the bees knees. I guess things have moved on a tad.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linux in ten years wish list. highdimensionman 2 341 February 23, 2022 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Linux users? Are there any here? Lemonvariable72 31 4345 September 18, 2015 at 8:33 am
Last Post: ironicprogrammer
  Nothing annoys me quite like linux and using OSS tools KevinM1 12 2058 January 24, 2015 at 12:59 am
Last Post: KevinM1
  Steam on Linux/Optimus on Linux Autumnlicious 12 3456 June 22, 2013 at 3:53 am
Last Post: Big Blue Sky
  OS Battle: which is the best? (OS X, Windows, Linux ...) Meylis Delano Lawrence 38 9796 May 1, 2013 at 8:07 am
Last Post: Love
  Who knows much about Linux? TaraJo 11 2572 December 4, 2012 at 10:34 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Windows vs Mac OS X vs Linux vs others. Tiberius 15 4782 April 6, 2012 at 5:07 am
Last Post: BoyWonder