Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Responding to "Homosexuality is wrong, the same way incest is wrong"
RE: Responding to "Homosexuality is wrong, the same way incest is wrong"
(May 22, 2015 at 5:57 pm)JewishAthiest Wrote: "Well, you know? How about we allow sex in the family? If it is made in consent, and no one is hurting anyone, why wouldn't we approve it?"
To this I wasn't ready. I never really thought about it.
He sensed that, and a big smile of victory and satisfaction was on his face, while we were entering the coffee house and had to leave that at it.

There is so much wrong with him thinking he's victorious from that argument, mostly because there's like nineteen hidden, unsupported premises in it.

For one, he's making a comparison between incest and homosexuality based solely on the wording of your earlier argument, and not on the characteristics of the subjects he's comparing. Sure, he said the same thing you did but with a different word, but where's the actual connection that links the two of them together? Where's the actual valid comparison that would lead you to think this is an actual slippery slope he's pointing out? If there isn't one, and he certainly didn't even attempt to provide one, then you're entirely justified in treating homosexuality and incest as different things, and that acceptance of one on the basis of your argument does not necessitate the acceptance of the other. It's like if he'd gone off of your argument but replaced the word "homosexuality" with the word "murder." You'd be quite right in asking him what murder has to do with homosexuality, and nowhere in what he's said is there an actual point of connection... so why should you take what he's argued seriously at all?

Mind you, that's just the way in which his position fails as argumentation, there's also the unspoken assumption that incest, in all cases and at all times, is wrong... which is something else he probably doesn't have the wherewithal to justify beyond intuitive ickiness. I'm not saying an argument couldn't be made for that, just that he hasn't made it, and therefore a key portion of his argument is unsupported; why shouldn't we approve of incest, all things being equal, and with consent and a lack of harm implicit? What's actually the argument there?

So, basically, both the content of the argument, and the argument itself, is faulty, or at least unsupported. That's enough.

SteelCurtain Wrote:So if there is an increased likelihood of having handicapped children, it should be outlawed.

Wouldn't a consistent application of that logic also preclude, say, handicapped people from having children, where that handicap is inheritable? Where do you draw the line, in terms of what's an acceptable likelihood of genetic defects?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Responding to "Homosexuality is wrong, the same way incest is wrong" - by Esquilax - May 22, 2015 at 6:47 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theocracy on the way Spongebob 94 5708 January 19, 2022 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 993 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2856 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists. Does life uh... find a way? Richimorto 6 995 July 29, 2020 at 12:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum.... jessieban 39 3729 June 21, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The only way I could believe ....... Brian37 16 3413 April 28, 2017 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Has anyone discovered a successful way to make religious people atheist? Phosphorescent Panties 83 14324 April 12, 2016 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Atheism and Anti-Theism same thing? ErGingerbreadMandude 114 17274 February 2, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Gods? No way TheoneandonlytrueGod 15 4419 December 4, 2015 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  A quick way to disprove an aggressive christian TunaDragon28 12 3312 November 28, 2015 at 8:51 am
Last Post: brewer