Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I be sued for saving someone's life? Yes I can
RE: Can I be sued for saving someone's life? Yes I can
I wasn't saying that people shouldn't be able to make their own decisions, but it's still frustrating - I don't know how it's like to be a doctor, but watching someone dying in front of you can be extremely hard and for a brief moment you may instinctively act to save that person even if you know the consequences.

Yes, people can die if they wish to, they can refuse any medical procedure they want to, but does that justify firing someone or just ruining their career forever? I accept the fact people want to die, what irritates me is that religionists are purposefully picking on someone for doing the most sane thing on earth - Saving lives. "Ohhhhhhhhhh I'm being oppressed because my life was saved, how sad"

Know this - If you're unconscious and I'm not aware of your religion, you do not have a right to sue me because I assumed the most rational thing - That you would consent. Indeed, consenting when unconscious is complicated - Legislators and jurisprudence have created a thing called "presumed consent", which consists in the doctor (or the person with the task at hand) assuming what the average person would consent to or not, and then applying it to that case - The average person would most likely consent to a blood transfusion, but would not consent to, for example, amputating a leg when there's other alternatives. Obviously, it's impossible to wake up everybody to ask for consent, sometimes there's no time, so if I have no info on your religion, you can't sue me even i fyou are a JW.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can I be sued for saving someone's life? Yes I can - by Dystopia - July 12, 2015 at 11:36 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Someone should tell these people Buddha never existed Vincenzo Vinny G. 14 4611 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  How do you call someone who is religious only because it makes them feel happy? Der/die AtheistIn 38 7433 November 25, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: c172
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, vaahaa 19 2829 September 18, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  If someone says science can't explain everything what's the best way to repond? ReptilianPeon 94 13272 December 14, 2016 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  yes, welcome me back you idiots JBrentonK 92 8242 November 5, 2016 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Someone, Show me Evidence of God. ScienceAf 85 11533 September 12, 2016 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  If someone says to me "consciousness, therefore god", what's the best way to respond? ReptilianPeon 56 7809 March 9, 2016 at 7:02 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Yes, religion is a drug, but what type of drug? Jehanne 25 3568 February 13, 2016 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  Ok Jesus, It's Time Someone Gave You Credit.... JBrentonK 69 8529 December 9, 2015 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The next time someone says their religious text is a literary miracle... ReptilianPeon 4 1711 October 22, 2015 at 3:18 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd